This weekend at the 2019 NCAA Indoor National Championships, eight Tennessee track and field standouts competed in nine events. Tennessee's eight participants were its most since sending nine individuals and two relays squads in 2016.

The Lady Vols tied for 21st with 10 points and the men tied for 35th with seven points. Florida’s men’s team and Arkansas’ women’s team won the team titles Saturday night.

"I was very proud of the efforts today,” director of track and field Beth Alford-Sullivan said. “Our teams have much improved from a year ago. Our overall finishes are much better, but we're still a ways from where we want to be. The culture is still growing to a championship mindset, an NCAA mindset. I look forward to rolling into outdoor. It's a stronger season for us."

Captains Maia McCoy and Mustaqeem Williams, combined to win four Second Team All-American honors after Friday night’s events.

McCoy started in the women’s 60m dash semifinals. She clocked a time of 7.29, finishing in 9th place, but was just two hundredths of a second off of qualifying. Next, she ran a time of 23.38 in the 200m semifinals. McCoy finished in 12th place and earned another Second Team All-American nod. The two All-American accolades that McCoy won were her first in her career indoors.

Williams finished 16th in both the 60m and 200m dashes Friday, which earned him two Second Team All-American citations. The senior has notched five Indoor All-American and two SEC Champion awards during his collegiate indoor career.

On Saturday, Tennessee’s track and field program posted four podium finishes to end the 2019 NCAA Indoor National Championships, all finishers ending in the top eight. Overall, Tennessee received 10 All-America citations over the weekend.

Junior high jumper Darryl Sullivan had a second-place finish in the high jump. The junior cleared a lifetime-best height of 2.26m (7-5) on his first attempt.

The triple jump duo of LaChyna Roe and Alonie Sutton earned All-American status, which are the second and third Lady Vols to do so in history of the program. Roe’s mark of 13.54m broke her own all-time record by 20 centimeters, which helped her to place fourth at the national meet. Sutton’s 13.25m grabbed her seventh place and made her the first Tennessee freshman to earn All-American honors in her event.

Jalen Tate’s mark of 15.75 got him 10th place and Second Team All-America in his indoor national championship debut.

Stamatia Scarvelis and Seth Whitener both received accolades in the weight throw pit. Scarvelis earned First Team All-America for a second consecutive year. Her top throw was 22.21m, which helped her claim sixth-place. Whitener made his indoor debut and had a top heave of 20.30m to earn him 14th place and a Second Team All-American award.

"The Vols did great, and it was a great field event day for us,” Alford-Sullivan said. “(Associate Head Coach Travis Geopfert) had his bounce squad ready to roll. The young ladies in the triple jump and Jalen Tate, all had great performances. LaChyna Roe, it'll go down in my memory books. She had two fouls and pulled out a third-place jump at the time to stay alive. Alonie Sutton, starting off as a freshman and scoring, being an All-American. I was really, really proud of them."

After the 2019 NCAA Indoor Championships, Tennessee will compete in the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge, an outdoor track and field campaign. The event will be hosted in Miami, Florida, on Saturday, March 23.