FILE: Track Photo 2

File: Jake Blankenship during the Men's Pole Vault on April 13, 2013.

This weekend the Tennessee track and field team will head to the University of Florida’s campus and compete at the Percy Beard Track in James G. Pressly Stadium for the Pepsi Florida Relays.

The event is a three-day competition that runs from Thursday to Saturday. On Saturday, the field competitions will take center stage with both teams.

Stamatia Scarvelis, a junior from California, broke her own program record last week in her home state at the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge in the hammer throw and will look to bring that same fire to the competition this weekend. She placed first in the hammer throw and the discus throw.

As the season progresses, Scarvelis’s hardware collection could exceed expectations molded in September.

Meanwhile, Cidae’a Woods, a long jumper, looks to continue the winning streak she started last week. She took home the gold and had her second-best career performance, likely giving her confidence heading into this next meet. She finished .01 meters behind her personal best.

The women continue to depend on upperclassmen, as Lachyna Roe hopes to build on her second-place finish in the triple jump. The senior has set two personal records so far in 2018 and will continue to dig deep as the season continues.

This weekend will provide an opportunity to see if the work Roe has put forth over the past four years will come to fruition against stout competition.

For the men, Nick Hassler could prove a key competitor for the Vols’ hopes. He finished third last week in the javelin and, at the Florida Relays last year, set a personal record in throwing.

With another year under his belt and an offseason of training, Hassler will look to show the competition and the fans his potential level of improvement.

Jordan West, a freshman standout from Rahway, New Jersey, set the Tennessee freshman record in the shot put last week in California. The momentum is there to potentially put him on the map for the All-SEC Freshman Team for the outdoor season, something he already achieved in the indoor season.

Another freshman, Jalen Tate, will look to build on his second-place performance in the triple jump last week in Gainesville. He also placed seventh in the long jump.

The TSSAA State Champion has had a solid year so far, giving the Vols another set of legs they can use to spring into the postseason.

Both Tennessee men’s 4x100 and 4x400 teams placed in the top three last week at the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge and are looking to build on the success they achieved in California.

With a mix of freshman improvement and senior leadership, the Vols will look to come out of Gainesville with a successful conclusion to March.