UT vs ETSU Football

Bryce Thompson (20) of Tennessee returns a football he intercepted against ETSU, Sept. 8, 2018

Tennessee sophomore defensive back Bryce Thompson, who was arrested late Saturday and released on charges of domestic assault, has been suspended indefinitely.

Head coach Jeremy Pruitt announced the suspension of Thompson in a released statement on Monday morning.

“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard,” Pruitt said. “The safety of all students is our first priority here at Tennessee.”

According to police reports from UTPD officer Jeffrey Quirin, a witness told police that she overheard Thompson in an argument with a female, in which Thompson allegedly said, “I am going to slap the (expletive) out of you.”

Another witness told the police that they heard Thompson say that he would “shoot up the school.”

Early reports stated that Thompson and the woman were arguing outside of a Stokely Hall.

Quirin, the officer to first respond to the incident told reporters that property damage had also been done, including a metal gate that had been ripped off of the hinges and other damages to the building.

Thompson, who was named to the Freshman All-American Team after a successful 2018 campaign, was expected to play a major role in Tennessee’s secondary this season.

Tennessee opens their 2019 season with Georgia State on Saturday.