Vols Tennis vs Georgia Tech

The No. 10 Tennessee men’s tennis team was defeated by No. 35 Georgia, 4-2. The Vols fall to 11-2 for the season, while the Bulldogs improved to 6-2.

Though Tennessee won the first match in doubles play, it would not be enough for the Vols, as Georgia came back to win the second two matches and take the doubles point.

On court three, junior Mark Wallner and sophomore Pat Harper defeated Georgia’s Robert Loeb and Erik Grevelius, 6-3. 

The Bulldogs have two ranked doubles pairings. Both pairings showed why they are ranked. 

Junior Adam Walton and sophomore Martim Prata were defeated on court two by No. 22 Philip Henning and Blake Croyder by a score of 4-6. 

On court one, Tennessee’s No. 52 pairing of graduate student Giles Hussey and junior Andrew Rodgers were bested by No. 36 Trent Bryde and Tyler Zink, 4-6. 

The Vols started singles play strong, winning their first two matches. The Bulldogs, however, came back to win the next three singles matches and win the day.

On court six, Harper defeated Loeb 6-3, 6-1. This win was Harper’s fourth in the last two games, having won both his matches last Friday against Georgia Tech. 

Tennessee’s other singles win came on court five, where Rogers defeated Grevelius 6-3, 6-3.  

On court two, senior Luca Wiedenmann was defeated by No. 26 Henning by a score of 2-6, 4-6. 

No. 23 Walton lost to No. 22 Bryde on court one, 3-6, 5-7. 

Georgia clinched the final singles point and the match on court three, where No. 72 Zink defeated Prata 6-2, 4-6, 6-0. 

Hussey and No. 95 Croyder’s match went unfinished on court four. 

In the end, Georgia’s ranked players proved to be too much for the Volunteers, who dropped their SEC opener. Tennessee now owns an all time record of 25-55 against Georgia.  

The Vols’ next match is Friday, March 6 against Mississippi State. The match starts at 6 p.m. ET at Goodfriend Tennis Center in Knoxville.