Vols vs New Mexico
Mark Wallner prepares to return a serve during the Men's Tennis opening game against New Mexico, in the Goodfriend Tennis Center on January 18, 2020.

Tennessee’s 18th ranked tennis team faced off against the New Mexico Lobos on Saturday at the Goodfriend Tennis Center. The Vols pulled off a 7-0 sweep, their second of the season, in the effort to keep their record perfect.

“I feel like our guys came out excited for the first home match,” assistant coach James McKie said. “New Mexico has won their conference several times so it’s good to see that our guys came out ready, and we played a clean match.”

Tennessee got off to a strong start by winning the doubles points. They were lifted by a 6-1 victory from Giles Hussey and Scott Jones. Mark Wallner and Adam Walton also took care of business in their 6-2 win. 

After winning the doubles point, the Vols never looked back. They finished a perfect 6-0 in singles. Hussey, Walton and teammates Martim Prata, Andrew Rogers and Luca Wiedenmann all came out victorious in only two sets. Jones was the only singles player that went into the third set, rallying back to win 6-3 and 6-1 after dropping the first set 0-6. 

“Never be satisfied,” McKie said, “Always be hungry to improve whether you’ve won or lost. It’s not about winning or losing; it’s about improving and doing things correctly.”

The Vols will look to improve at the Goodfriend Tennis Center on Monday with a doubleheader against Penn and The Citadel. Match time against Penn is 10 a.m. with Tennessee taking on The Citadel at 3 p.m.