Alison Ojeda

Head coach, Alison Ojeda, during the women's tennis match against Auburn on Mar. 29, 2018.

After a successful third season leading the Tennessee Women’s Tennis team, head coach Alison Ojeda signed a contract extension to stay with the program at least through 2024.

Tennessee Director of Athletics Phillip Fulmer announced the extension on Monday. Per the agreement, Ojeda will earn $150,000 during the 2019-20 season and as much as $160,000 through the last year of the contract.

Ojeda, who played on the Tennessee women’s tennis team 1998-2002, came back to serve as an assistant coach at her Alma Mater in 2016 before being promoted to head coach prior to the 2017 season.

During her first two seasons, Tennessee finished with 19 and 18 wins, respectively, making the NCAA Tournament both times.

In 2019, Ojeda lead the Lady Vols to a 20-8 finish, their best since 2003, as well as a third-straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.

Tennessee also had their best finish in SEC play since 2013 with a 9-4 mark. The nine wins were the most in conference action since the 2011 season, and their 14-3 record at Barksdale Stadium was the most wins at home since 1992.

Those achievements did not go unnoticed as Ojeda earned 2019 Ohio Valley Head Coach of the Year honors by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

“The resurgence of Tennessee women’s tennis under Alison’s leadership is evident,” Fulmer said in a press release. “I admire her passion and have been impressed with her ability to relate to her players as well as recruits. I expect the program to continue to flourish with Alison as our head coach.”

According to Ojeda, the support from the UT administration has gone a long way in the tennis program’s success during her three years at the helm.

“Coaching for Tennessee under Coach Fulmer’s leadership is an absolute honor,” Ojeda said. “Our program, including our recruits, feel that our university and administration have our back and that’s a great feeling.

I’m thankful that the University of Tennessee believes in me. We want to win an SEC title and our entire program is all in.”