Chris Woodruff

Tennessee men's tennis head coach Chris Woodruff 

Wednesday afternoon at Barksdale Stadium, the No. 15 Tennessee men’s tennis team beat Middle Tennessee 6-1.

The Vols improved to 9-1 while the Blue Raiders fell to 8-7 on the season.

Tennessee took the doubles point from a team who had won eight-straight first points. Timo Stodder and Preston Touliatos won their match 6-2. Andrew Rogers and Martim Prata won as well with the final score sitting at 6-4. Adam Walton and Pat Harper participated in an unfinished match.

“We play really good doubles, so we just came out and made some adjustments,” head coach Chris Woodruff said. “This was good for us to come out in the middle of the week to play a solid team.”

Singles started off with Scott Jones beating Tom Moonen in two sets, 6-2, 6-3.

Walton followed with a 6-2, 6-3, victory over Gonzalo Morell. Walton is ranked No. 94 nationally in singles and has eight consecutive victories in singles matches after today’s play.

“I’ve been hitting the ball well in practice and I’ve just been focusing on the little things. Now the results are starting to take form,” Walton said. “I actually started the season with a loss and I haven’t lost since. I really think that opened me up in wanting to do well, especially with the SEC matchup coming this week.”

Timo Stodder, No. 113, played Stijn Slump and won the first set, 6-0, without any resistance. Both men battled in the second set as it went to the limits, 7-6, in favor of Stodder.

On court five, Martim Prata secured Tennessee’s sixth point after defeating Chris Edge 6-4, 6-4.

Luca Wiedenmann stopped Pavel Motl’s six-match win streak with a final score of 6-2, 6-2 to conclude the match.

Max Rauch, of MTSU, won their only point of the match, as he beat Touliatos 4-6, 6-2, 0-1.

The Vols will play another home match against Georgia on March 1 at 6 p.m.

“A tough match,” Woodruff said. “I’ve been doing this a long time and I know they will play us tough and we will play them tough and the cards will fall where they may.”

Georgia is coming into Knoxville on the heels of a 6-1 victory over Mercer. They are currently 4-3 on the year, but have won 4 out of their last 5 matches.