Alison Ojeda

Head coach, Alison Ojeda, during the women's tennis match against Auburn on Mar. 29, 2018.

The No. 22 Lady Vols tennis team is off to a great start this season, starting 2-0 against North Alabama, finishing both matches 7-0 on Sunday.

"The girls did an excellent job of coming out here and being focused from start to finish," head coach Alison Ojeda said. "In doubles, we are trying to take our game as a whole to another level. We are talking about energy, decision-making, confidence and execution. I think everybody this afternoon played better tennis than we did this morning. It will be nice to have a day off, mentally more than anything else, regroup and get ready for Michigan."

Hadley Doyle opened her career at Tennessee with a bang with a 6-0 victory over Lion’s Kalais Going. To close out the day Doyle defeated Nina Linke, with a repeating score of 6-0.

Doyle also dominated in doubles with her partner sophomore No. 76 Rebeka Mertena. The two claimed their first victory of the day with a 6-1 win. In their second match, the pair finished 6-3 over the Lions.

Coach Ojeda has been looking forward to seeing the talent, old and new, for this upcoming season, and with the success of the season opener the expectations are set high.

"We've all been excited about adding Callie Creath, Hadley Doyle, and Carly Briggs to the team and getting Julie Ball out here," Ojeda said. "I thought those girls did an outstanding job representing Tennessee the way we want to be represented."

Mertena also had a successful singles day, defeating Linke 6-0 in her first match. In her second match she followed up with a 6-1 victory over Payton Andrews.

In all, the Lady Vols won a combined 12 singles matches in straight-sets and six doubles matches on Sunday. North Alabama took zero games in 10 sets throughout the day.

Tennessee will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. next weekend for the Michigan Invitational.