Chris Woodruff

Tennessee men's tennis head coach Chris Woodruff 

The 18th-ranked Tennessee men’s tennis team opened up their season with a 7-0 win against Abilene Christian at the Heading Family Tennis Center, a neutral site. 

Tennessee won the double point to start off the match. The pair of Giles Hussey and Scott

Jones competed against Abilene Christian’s Savan Chhabra and Akinori Wada on court three and won their match 6-2. 

On court one, Jackson Fine and Johnathan Sheehy of Abilene Christian squared off against the Vols’ duo of Pat Harper and Andrew Rogers. The Wildcats’ pair took the match 6-2 to even up doubles play.

The Vols won the double point on court two thanks to the play of Martim Prata and Adam

Walton, who took a 6-3 victory over Dimitrios Azoidis and Riley Tran.

In singles, Luca Wiedenmann defeated Fin 6-1, 6-0. Rogers took the next Vol point after

defeating Wada 6-1, 6-1 in straight sets. Rogers victory gave Tennessee a 3-0 lead in the match.

“Luca is a stud,” associate head coach James McKie said. “You always know what you are going to get from Luca. It was good to see him up on the scoreboard first, get a win early and the guys respond well the wins up on the board.”

Hussey secured the match for Tennessee after his straight-set victory on court five. He defeated Chabra 6-3, 6-0.

Tennessee and Abilene Christian played out the match with the Vols winning out on courts one, four, and two. No. 23 Walton defeated No. 77 Sheehy 6-2, 6-4 on court one. Prata bested Tran 6-1, 6-4 on court four. Jones beat Azoidis in two sets 7-6 (9-7), 6-4 on court two to finish off the 7-0 victory by Tennessee.

“I thought the team as a whole was really professional,” McKie said. “First match of the season, you never really know what is going to happen. We're in a different environment here at OU, but the guys did a good job. It was a clean performance all the way around.”

Tennessee will get set to play No. 22 Oklahoma in Norman on Sunday at 2 p.m.