Alison Ojeda

Head coach, Alison Ojeda, during the women's tennis match against Auburn on Mar. 29, 2018.

The Lady Vols racked up five singles wins along with a doubles win on Saturday in Ann Arbor.  The women’s tennis team is currently 2-0 and ranked at No. 22 in the nation.

Freshman Carly Briggs and senior Ariadna Riley kicked the day off with a 6-2 win over TCU’s Stevie Kennedy and Marie Norris.  This was the pairs first win as a duo.

Tennessee dropped a doubles set to Michigan as Hadley Doyle and Rebeka Mertena fell short against Anca Cruciun and Lera Patiuk, 6-0.

The day then moved on to singles play where sophomore Julie Ball gained a win over Michigan’s Lanie Van Linge.  Ball won 7-5, 7-5 to win her first match of the invitational.

Sophomore Rebeka Mertena topped Michigan’s No. 85 ranked Andrea Certan in two sets winning 7-5 and 6-2. The win marks four straight victories for Mertena

Tennessee freshman Hadley Doyle took her match to three sets where she topped Michigan’s Chiara Lommer.  Doyle dropped the first set 2-6, but came back and won two straight, 6-3, 6-4, to garner her fourth win of the year.

Two other Lady Vols also took their matches to three sets.  Freshman Callie Creath defeated Michigan’s Lera Patiuk, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2.  This gave Creath her first singles win of the invitational. Senior Johanna Silva knocked off Michigan’s Nicole, 3-6, 6-1, 6-3.

The Lady Vols suffered three singles losses on the day as Michigan’s Alyvia Jones upset Tennessee’s Kaitlyn Staines in two sets. Michigan star and No. 26 Giulia Pairone defeated Carly Briggs, 6-4, 6-3, and Michigan’s Bella Lorenzini edged out Tenika McGiffen in three sets. 

Tennessee will wrap up the Michigan Invitational on Sunday with singles play against Ohio State and doubles matches against Michigan.  Play will begin at 9 a.m. ET.