Women's Tennis vs North Alabama

Kaitlin Staines during match against North Alabama on Jan. 14, 2019 at Goodfriend Tennis Center.

The Tennessee women’s tennis team will host Indiana on Friday at 11:30 a.m. and then will play against South Florida on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. at Goodfriend Tennis Center.

Currently at 4-2 overall this season, the Lady Vols will look to bounce back after last weekend's split, where they lost to Old Dominion and beat Presbyterian.

“The thing that I was disappointed in is that I felt like we got out-competed and that is the first time in a long time that I have seen that in this team,” head coach Alison Ojeda said. “Losing is a part of getting to where we need to go, but with that said, we don’t ever want to be out-competed.”

Indiana comes into the weekend with a 6-2 record after winning two out of their three matches over the weekend. They beat James Madison and Saint Louis, but lost to Notre Dame. This upcoming match between Tennessee and Indiana is the 34th straight season that the two schools have met, which dates back all the way to 1986.

Senior Natalie Whalen, who owns a 13-2 singles record, leads the Hoosiers this season. Whalen has also gone 15-2 in doubles and 6-1 in dual matches, while being teamed up with redshirt junior Caitlin Bernard.

“We had a close match against Indiana last year,” Ojeda said. “I expect them to come out and expect to beat us, but I also expect us to go out there and expect to beat them.

The University of South Florida will look to continue their three-game winning streak, as they shut out Middle Tennessee State and beat North Florida this past weekend. They are currently 4-3, but have two strong losses against LSU and Georgia, which are two teams in the top 25.

Senior Ana Roman Dominguez leads South Florida. She is currently at No. 36 in the ITA singles rankings. Roman Dominguez has also beat the nations then-No. 1 in Katarina Jokic from Georgia.

Tennessee will look to improve its all-time record against both Indiana and South Florida. The Lady Vols are 21-15 against the Hoosiers, and hold an undefeated record versus South Florida (5-0).

The Vols turn to Sadie Hammond and Kaitlin Staines this weekend, as the two players are ranked No. 17 in the ITA doubles rankings. They are currently 8-0 this season and are 11-0 dating back to the fall season. Their current ranking is the highest by a Tennessee doubles team since the 2014-15 preseason poll. Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson were ranked at No. 16.

“The team that people still need to watch this weekend is Sadie and Kaitlin, they are good and fun to watch,” Ojeda said. “The thing that they do every day is complete, they cannot wait to play doubles and they practice with the same intensity as they play with in their matches.”

Junior Johanna Silva has won 15 of her past 17 singles matches and will most likely be occupying the No. 3 or No. 4 singles spot for these upcoming matches.