Womens Golf

Michaela Williams lines up for a swing at the Mercedes-Bens Collegiate Championship at the Cherokee Country Club in Knoxville, TN on Sept. 18, 2018.

The Tennessee women’s golf team finished in eighth place at the Westbrook Invitational this weekend.

A final score of 862 (-2) put the Lady Vols two strokes back of fifth place. On Monday, Tennessee carded its lowest round of the week.

“We talked about just playing well today and trying to improve our position,” head coach Judi Pavon said. “We only moved up one place, but also gained seven shots on the eventual winners today. I’m happy with the way we played and that five of our six players broke par at least one round this week.”

Nebraska won the tournament with a score of 11-under-par (853) and Oklahoma finished one stroke back at 10-under-par. Illinois, Oregon State and Notre Dame rounded out the top five.

Fellow-SEC foe Mississippi State finished in a tie for fifth place with the Fighting Irish at 4-under-par.

Senior Ariana Macioce led the Lady Vols with a tie for 16th place at 214 (-2). She finished the tournament with consecutive rounds at 3-under-par, tying her lowest score in her career.

Macioce has finished inside the top 20 on the leaderboard in five straight events. She eagled the par-4 18th to finish her round.

“Ari played really well today to go with her second round from yesterday,” Pavon said. “She is very competitive and has stepped up and become a really solid player for us. She had her low tournament total this week.”

Junior Micheala Williams was the other Lady Vol to card a top 25 finish in the tournament. Williams finished the event at 1-over-par and in a tie for 24th place.

Waverly Whiston followed with a score of 218 (+2). She placed 35th overall in the individual standings.

Freshman Mikayla Bardwell and sophomore Mariah Smith finished in a tie for 48th place at 4-over-par. Bardwell led the team in stroke average coming into the event.

Malia Stovall rounded out the Vols’ individual performances in a tie for 67th at 7-over-par.

Tennessee returns to the course on March 9-10 when it competes in the SunTrust Gator Invitational in Gainesville, Florida. The Lady Vols finished in fourth place in the event last season.