Volleyball vs. Texas A&M

Sedona Hansen, #11, sets the ball during game against Texas A&M on Nov. 4, 2018 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Volleyball season has officially arrived on Rocky Top and the Lady Vols volleyball team is prepared to take on their highly anticipated season. After finishing second in the SEC last year, all eyes have been on Tennessee and head coach Eve Rackham to see if they can produce another impressive season.

Rackham led the Lady Vols to a 14-win increase overall and 11-win increase in SEC play in her first year as head coach, resulting in the biggest turnaround in Tennessee history. Under her lead the Lady Vols also jumped eight places in conference standings, from being picked tenth to finishing in second.

This season is packed with new and exciting opponents for the Lady Vols. From taking on Baylor and Houston at the Baylor Invitational to facing off Cincinatti, Miami, and Michigan State at the Spartan Invitational, Tennessee has a dense schedule.

The 2019 roster is filled with some old and new faces. This year the Lady Vols have joined by five new freshmen: Kailey Keeble, Madisen Werdell, Morgahn Fingall, Madison Bryant, and Emily Merrick. 

These freshmen come to Tennessee from all across the country, from Texas to Illinois and bring hefty resumes with them. Keeble was an Under Armor All-American Honorable Mention and Werdell was named as an All-Conference selection in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Fingall and Merrick were both top-250 recruits and Bryant was a part of the AVCA Phenom List through 2015 to 2017.

While the freshmen are bringing their new talents to the team, Tennessee is also preparing its seniors for their final season. Alyssa Andreno, Asha Phillips, Sedona Hansen, and Tessa Grubbs are expected to bring key components to the team.

The Lady Vols will kick off their season at home in Thompson Boling on Saturday, August 24 against High Point in an exhibition game at 2 p.m.