Tennis V. Texas A&M

Head coach, Chris Woodruff, speaks with his team before the Texas A&M match on Mar. 23, 2018. 

On Saturday, Pat Harper, Preston Touliatos, and Luca Wiedenmann competed in singles matches at the Saint Francis Health System ITA Men’s All-American Championships in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

While Harper lost in straight sets in the first round, Touliatos and Wiedenmann both went unbeaten in their respective first rounds, then unbeaten again in their second round matches, advancing them to Sunday.

Harper, playing in his first year at Tennessee from Brisbane, Australia, will compete in the tournament’s consolation bracket after falling to Murkel Dellien of Wichita State (KS). Dellien made quick work of Harper, winning the first set 6-3 and the second 6-1. The young Harper looks to find a victory in the consolation bracket.

On the other hand, Touliatos, Tennessee’s redshirt senior from Birmingham, Alabama, showed his experience, winning his first round match against Western Michigan’s Matej Svjetlicic in straight sets, 7-6(6) and 6-1.

In Touliatos’ next matchup, the veteran would once again win in straight sets, taking down Cem Erturk from Fresno State easily, 6-1 and 6-2. These back-to-back singles wins would secure Touliatos a spot in the round of 64 in the ITA Men’s All-American Championships.

Wiedenmann, a Tennessee junior out of Munich, Germany, flashed his skills against South Alabama’s Samuel Serrano. While Serrano battled, Wiedenmann still managed to secure a victory in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-4.

Later in the day, the junior would play a match against Dane Dunlap from Miami (FL). Wiedenmann had played Dunlap earlier in the season at the Crimson Tide Four-in-the-Fall Championships, which took place earlier in September.

This match was not much different from Wiedenmann’s first in the ITA tournament, as he would once again win in straight sets, 6-2 and 6-2. These two wins in prequalifying matches ensure a spot for Tennessee’s Wiedenmann in the round of 64 along with Touliatos.

Overall, Tennessee’s veteran Tennis players showed out on Saturday, as Touliatos and Wiedenmann both improved their singles records for the fall tennis season, each of the two going 2-0 on Saturday, and advancing to the round of 64 in Tulsa.

The Saint Francis Health System ITA Men’s All-American Championships continues until Monday, October 8th, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Tennessee’s Pat Harper looks to end on a good note in the consolation bracket, while Tennessee’s Veterans, Touliatos and Wiedenmann, advance to the round of 64 and try to continue on in the tournament throughout the coming week.