Swim/Dive - Tennessee Invitational

FILE - Meghan Small in the 100 breaststroke during the Tennessee Invitational at Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center on Dec. 1, 2017.

The Tennessee Swimming and Diving team will be well represented on the 2019-20 USA Swimming National Team.

On Wednesday, the organization announced that seniors Erika Brown and Meghan Small of the women’s team, as well as former swimmer David Heron (2013-18) landed a spot on the national team. They will be joined by current Tennessee coaches Matt Kredich, Lance Asti, Ashley Jahn and Rich Murphy.

With the addition of Brown and Small, Tennessee joins just two other schools with two or more current female student-athletes to make the national team.

The USA Swimming National Team will feature the top six athletes with the highest World Rankings in individual Olympic Events. The qualifying times were recorded at both the USA Swimming and FINA sanctioned meets from Jan. 1, 2019 through Aug. 25, 2019.

The Lady Vols’ Brown joined the team due to her performances in two events, the 50 and 100-meter freestyle. The Charlotte, NC native is tied with swimmer Gretchen Walsh for the third-fastest 50-meter time at 24.71 and now claims the sixth-fastest time in the 100-meter at 54.13.

At the Phillips 66 National Championships in August, Brown swam sub-25 second for the first time in her collegiate career in the 50-meter, earning herself the gold with a time of 24.71. She also took home a silver medal due to her 54.13 time in the 100-meter, taking second place in the event.

Small earned her spot on the U.S. National Team in the 200-meter individual medley, swimming a time of 2:11.36 at the Pan American Games. The performance earned her the silver.

Heron joins the open water team, swimming the 10-kilometer where he placed second at the USA Swimming 10K National Championships in South Korea in July. Heron placed fourth overall with a time of 1:52:22.03.