The Vols vs. Fordham University

#31, Mackenzie George runs up the field with the ball during the game against Fordham University at Regal Stadium on August 22, 2019.

The 11th ranked Tennessee soccer team improved to 3-1 Sunday, defeating Columbia University 3-0 in New York. 

The win marks the Lady Vols first road win of the 2019 season as Tennessee dropped its road opener 1-0 against Rutgers on Thursday.

After struggling Thursday, Tennessee’s offense immediately jumped on Columbia, scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes.

Isabella Cook got the scoring started in the third minute of the opening half, giving Tennessee an early 1-0 lead.

Michelle Alozie, who was making her first start at Tennessee, extended the Lady Vols lead to 2-0 in the ninth minute. MA Vignola set up the play with a short cross setting up Alozie for the easy goal.

Tennessee's offense slowed down a little, but Alicia Donley provided some pressure on the Lions defense in the second half.

First, in the 59th minute, Donley forced a diving save on a shot from 20 yards out. The second came four minutes later when her low liner from 12 yards out found the back of the net.

Freshman Lindsey Romig played 76 minutes at goalkeeper, making two saves while redshirt-sophomore Charli Pagony made a save in 14 minutes of action.

Tennessee dominated the game throughout, outshooting Columbia ten to five and eight to three on shots on net.

Seven different Tennessee players recorded shots for the Lady Vols as Tennessee continues to get offense from a variety of players.

Tennessee won the possession battle against Columbia 59 to 41%, but less than 40% of Tennessee’s possession came in Columbia’s territory.

The Tennessee soccer team returns to action on Thursday night when they host Southeastern Louisiana at Regal Stadium. Kick-off is set for 7 p.m.