Football vs. UTEP

Trey Smith, # 73, and LaTrell Bumphus, #88, sit on bench during game against UTEP on Sept. 15 2018 at Neyland Stadium.

The Tennessee football team received some good news less than three days ahead of their season opener versus Georgia State.

Junior offensive lineman Trey Smith, who has missed most of the last two season with a lingering medical issue involving blood clots, will play on Saturday after being cleared by medical staff on Wednesday. 

"My family and I consulted with several of the best doctors in the country and a plan has been developed that allows me to compete with my teammates on gameday," Smith said. "My family and I are confident in that plan. The coaches and staff here at Tennessee always had my best interests at heart and I can't thank them enough. Thanks to all of the fans and teammates for their support."

Smith came to Tennessee as a five-star prospect, part of former head coach Butch Jones' recruiting class in 2017. He has started in all 19 games he has played in during his collegiate career. 

After his freshman season, Smith earned All-SEC Second Team and All-SEC Freshman honors and was the first Tennessee true-freshman to start at the tackle position in over 30 seasons.

"This is Trey's decision," Pruitt said. "And our medical staff has done a great job throughout this entire process. The main priority has always been Trey's health. Our doctors have implemented a plan that will allow Trey to play, and we are excited for him."