FILE - Swim/Dive - Tennessee Invitational

File: Rachel Rubadue in the 3-meter springboard during the Tennessee Invitational at Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center on Dec. 1, 2017.

Four senior team captains were announced Monday for the 2018-19 Swimming & Diving Program.

Two were chosen from both the men’s and women’s squads to represent the team this year. Seniors Madeline Banic and Rachel Rubadue were selected for the women’s squad, while Matthew Dunphy and Joey Reilman, also seniors, were chosen to represent the men.

Head coach Matt Kredich knows that being named captain is not something that an athlete should take lightly.

“When an athlete is named captain of any team at Tennessee, it is a tremendous honor and responsibility,” Kredich said. “The captains that we've chosen each has a unique blend of qualities that inspire the team and make everyone around them better."

Banic, hailing from Midlothian, Virginia, has specialized in the Butterfly/Freestyle event for her career at Tennessee. She has garnered a bevy of accolades during her time as a Vol, including eight All-American honors and six SEC championships. She also gets it done in the classroom, making the SEC Academic Honor Roll twice.

The other women’s captain, Rubadue, has made her name in diving for Tennessee and is just as decorated as Banic. Not only has she medaled three times in the platform event, including one gold, Rubadue has earned All-American honors twice and is a five-time SEC medalist.

“I am very pleased with the naming of Rachel Rubadue as one of our women’s swimming and diving captains,” diving coach Dave Parrington said. “She has earned the respect of her teammates and coaches alike with consistent dedication and successful competitiveness which serves as an excellent example for the team.”

While he doesn’t have the same kind of athletic accolades, Dunphy, the first men’s captain, has shown leadership qualities outside of the pool that led to him earning his captainship. The breaststroke specialist qualified for the NCA Championships in both the 100 and 200 events. He has also been on the SEC Academic Honor Roll three times, and has been a member of the SEC Community Service Team twice.

“Matthew is already one of the great stories in the history of Tennessee Swimming,” Kredich said. “He has an unrelenting desire to improve, and the standards he’s set for himself are exemplary.”

Reilman, specializing in the freestyle and backstroke events, is one of Tennessee’s most decorated men’s swimmers. He is a four-time All-American and a three-time CSCAA Scholar All-American. Last year, he qualified for the NCAA championships in both of his specialty events.

These captains will lead their squads back into action for the first time this season on Sept. 28, as they will participate in the Orange and White Intrasquad Meet at the Allan Jones Aquatic Center. Action will kick off at 3:30 p.m.