UT v TA&M

Doubles team, Scott Jones and Andrew Rogers in their match against Texas A&M at Goodfriend Tennis Center on Mar. 23, 2018. 

The No. 15/26-ranked Tennessee men’s tennis team bested No. 29 NC State to the final score of 4-1 on Friday at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center. It marks the first true road win of the season for the Vols.

With the win, the Vols improved to 7-1 on the season. Tennessee is currently on a five-match winning streak, with its only loss of the season coming at the hands of Tulane University.

“Today was an all-around team effort,” Tennessee head coach Chris Woodruff said. “The players, coaches and everyone involved gave their all. We need to continue to keep focusing on progress and getting better one day at a time.”

The Vols took the opening point in doubles. Preston Touliatos and Pat Harper won 6-4, while playing together in the No. 2 spot. Andrew Rogers and Martim Prata won their doubles match as well, notching a 6-3 win while in the No. 3 spot.

Timo Stodder and Adam Walton did not finish their doubles match.

In the singles matches, Touliatos defeated Robert Turzak 6-4, 6-4. Scott Jones won his match 6-3, 7-5, against Tadas Babelis.

Walton closed the door for Tennessee. The No. 94 ranked singles player played a tight contest against Igor Saveljic 6-1, 5-7, 6-4.

Stodder, the No. 113 singles player, was the only one to lose his singles match. He fell to No. 43 Alexis Galarneau 6-3, 6-3. This was Galarneau’s third ranked win of the season.

Overall, the Vols improved their all-time record against the Pack to 4-1, dating back to 1981.

The Vols now travel to Atlanta to face Georgia Tech on Sunday. The match starts at 11:00 a.m.

The Yellow Jackets are a team that has yet to lose a match at home (5-0), but stand 5-3 overall this season. Georgia Tech will lean on the doubles duo of Phillip Gresk and Carlos Divar, who have six wins this season as a doubles pair. Georgia Tech currently has two players ranked in the ITA with No. 36 Carlos Divar and No. 106 Cole Gromley.