Timo Stodder

Timo Stodder at the game against Texas A&M on Mar. 23, 2018. 

Timo Stodder, Tennessee men’s tennis co-captain, advanced to the ITA Ohio Valley Regional singles final after his play Sunday at the Goodfriend Tennis Center in Knoxville.

Stodder is the top-seeded player in this year's tournament. He played two singles matches on Sunday against a pair of Indiana Hoosiers, Zac Brodney and Antonio Cembellin. Stodder dominated both matches winning them in two sets each, 6-2, 6-0, and 6-1, 6-4, respectively.

After this weekend, Stodder has secured a spot for the ITA Fall National Championships in Surprise, Arizona.

However, his next match is Monday against Middle Tennessee State’s Gonzalo Morell. Morell is coming into the final fresh off of upsetting Cameron Klinger of Vanderbilt in a decisive 6-1, 6-2 victory.

Stodder’s singles success may also leak into the doubles tournament. The 2018 All-SEC Men’s First Team recipient will team up alongside the Vols’ other co-captain and 2018 All-American, redshirt senior Preston Touliatos.

The two seniors are the No. 2 seed in the tournament and have won five matches in a row after today's win against Butler’s Dickson/Mag to the tune of a 6-1, 7-5 semifinal victory. Their next match is against Belmont’s Inno/Illics in the final, who are the No. 9 seed in the tournament. 

Stodder and Touliatos are scheduled to play in the doubles final against the Belmont duo at 9:30 a.m. on Monday at the Goodfriend Tennis Center. Stodder’s singles final match is set to start at approximately 11:30 a.m.

On the women’s side, Gabby Schuck and Sadie Hammond looked to continue their recent success in the ITA Ohio Valley Regional tournament during Sunday’s semifinals match.

However, the redshirt junior and senior combo lost a tight contest against Vanderbilt’s Christina Rosca and Summer DVorak in two sets that went 6-3 and 7-5. Sunday’s loss brought their run in the tournament to a close after a win in Saturday’s match against Wright State.

It was not all losses for the Lady Vols however, as true freshman Kylie Duckworth teamed up with Vanderbilt sophomore Lauren Gish to win the doubles title in the 32-team bracket.

All three of these Lady Vols, along with Tenika McGiffin and Johanna Silva, claimed victories in Sunday’s singles consolation play, going a perfect 5-0.

The Lady Vols’ next test is the Tennessee Fall Invite, which starts on October 26 and ends October 28 at Goodfriend Tennis Center. They will play Ohio State, Wake Forest, Kansas State and IUPUI.