Cross Country vs. Louisville

Peighton Meske running in the Tennessee-Louisville Dual meet at Cherokee Farm Cross Country Course on Aug. 31, 2018.

Tennessee men’s and women’s cross-country teams are coming home to Knoxville with some victories under their belts after today’s pre-season meet at Auburn. With both team and individual titles earned, the Vols are looking more and more prepared for their upcoming races.

In the women’s 4k, the Vols took the win with four runners in the top 10, earning them 34 total points. The women raced along five other SEC teams and showed the conference what their team was made of, and especially what the freshmen were capable of.

Freshman Katie Thronson continues to prove herself quite the collegiate athlete. After placing second in the women’s three mile against Louisville last week, she came in to Auburn and placed third with a time of 13:25.93. Following behind her was fellow freshman Sydney Seymour, who finished fourth with a time of 13:27.34. Seymour was another freshman who made a difference in the Louisville matchup, placing fifth overall.

The women also had sophomore Megan Murray back, who did not run against Louisville, making her season debut at Auburn. She finished sixth with a time of 13:38.41 and was followed by senior Peighton Meske who ran a career-best of 13:38.41. Freshman Alaina Riordan came in fourteenth with a time of 14:01.82.

For the men, senior Zach Long put on an impressive performance in his season debut by finishing first in the men’s 6k with a time of 17:43.99, almost a full ten seconds ahead of the second-place finisher from Ole Miss. This isn’t the first time Long has proved himself and invaluable runner for Tennessee. Long is currently entering his fourth season running for the Vols and is coming off an impressive junior year where he broke two school records. Long is expected to remain a huge asset for Tennessee throughout the season.

Vols that followed shortly after Long included freshman Karl Theissen who finished fifth with a time of 18:05.05, and fellow freshman Alex Crigger, with a time of 18:14.59. Senior Nick Brey followed placing eleventh at 18:27.32 and junior Wesley Robinson who came in twelfth at 18:34.19.

When it comes to team standings, the men placed second with a total of 35 points. They fell right behind Ole Miss who finished with 31 total points.

The Vos will face off against Auburn and other SEC teams again in October at the SEC Championships, which Auburn hosts at Indiana Pines Golf Course. Events like the Auburn Invitational will help prepare Tennessee for postseason matchups like the SEC Championship and other title matches.

The Vols will race next on September 28 at the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational that takes place in Madison, Wisconsin.