Football vs Georgia

Fans create the iconic orange and white checkerboard pattern during the game against Georgia at Neyland Stadium on Sept. 30, 2017.

The University of Tennessee Athletic Department announced the six-member Tennessee Athletics Hall of Fame Class for 2019 on Monday.

The class is set to include former football head coach and athletic director Doug Dickey, former baseball player R.A. Dickey, former swimmer Christine Magnuson, former administrator Charles A. ‘Gus’ Manning, former track star Tony Parrilla and former Lady Vols basketball standout Candace Parker.

The class will be inducted during the weekend of Tennessee football’s home game against the South Carolina Gamecocks on Oct. 25-26 with a special induction dinner at the Student Union on Friday, Oct. 25.

The six members will also be recognized at some point during the South Carolina game the following day.

"This collection of Tennessee legends is certainly worthy of this extraordinary honor," Tennessee Director of Athletics and 2017 Hall of Fame inductee Phillip Fulmer said in a statement. "During their respective careers as Vols and Lady Vols, R.A. Dickey, Christine Magnuson, Tony Parrilla and Candace Parker not only exemplified excellence in competition and service, but also excellence in sportsmanship. They each accomplished great things individually while also taking pride in being great teammates and ambassadors for the University of Tennessee.”

Doug Dickey first served as the head coach of the Tennessee football program from 1964-1969, leading the Vols to a national championship in 1967 as well as two SEC titles. During his tenure, Dickey also instituted the ‘Power T’ on the team’s helmets and brought back the checkerboard end-zones.

“As our head football coach, Doug Dickey won a national championship and introduced many of our treasured Tennessee traditions.” said Fulmer. “And later, as athletics director, he oversaw an era of unprecedented growth and success. His legacy serves as a connection between our past and our future.”

Dickey returned to Knoxville in 1985 to serve as Tennessee’s director of athletics. In that position, Dickey helped build some of the best athletic facilities in college sports as well as managed a growing athletics budget. Under his leadership, UT athletics won a combined 10 national championships as well as 38 SEC championships.

Charles A. ‘Gus’ Manning was involved in some capacity within Tennessee athletics for nearly 50 years beginning in 1951 before retiring in 2000. First as an administrative assistant, then publicity director, ticket manager, business manager and senior associate athletics director, Manning’s mark on the program has been a positive one.

A UT alum, Manning served eight different athletic directors and 11 head football coaches in his career, including legendary head coach Robert Neyland. Manning attended over 600 consecutive football games and nearly 500 home games at Neyland Stadium until 2017.

Manning also co-hosted the ‘The Locker Room’ show on the Vol Network from 1960 to 2016.

"Gus Manning's service as an administrator dates back to his days one of General Neyland's most trusted aides." said Fulmer. "Gus has impacted many lives, launched many careers and shaped Tennessee's status as a standard bearer for how an intercollegiate athletics department should function."

As a swimmer at Tennessee from 2005-2008, Christine Magnuson lead a decorated collegiate career with the Lady Vols’ swim and dive team. In 2008, Magnuson finished as the NCAA Champion in the 100-yard butterfly. She also won SEC Swimmer of the Year and SEC Scholar Athlete of the Year that same season.

Magunson was a 23-time All-American and three-time All-SEC athlete, while becoming a four-time SEC Champion in the 50-meter freestyle, 100-meter freestyle and the 100-meter butterfly.

On the rubber, Tony Parrilla won four NCAA 800-meter crowns in both outdoor and indoor track and field between 1991 and 1994. Parrilla was also a nine-time SEC champion while earning the 800-meter title every year during his four-year stint at Tennessee.

A 10-time All-American, Parrilla was named the 1994 SEC Men’s Track & Field Athlete of the Year.

Former Lady Vol Candace Parker helped lead the Tennessee women’s basketball program to back-to-back national championships in 2007 and 2008 under former head coach Pat Summitt.

In both seasons, Parker was named the NCAA Tournament’s Most Valuable Player.Parker’s list of accomplishments during her UT career are long, and include two-time recipient of both the John R. Wooden Player of the Year Award and USBWA National Player of the Year Award, as well as three-time All America honors.

With 2,137 career points, Parker ranks third all-time in points in program history and was the first woman to dunk in a NCAA Tournament game. Her jersey is one of six to be retired and hung in the rafters at Thompson-Boling Arena.

"It's wonderful to celebrate our legendary athletes, coaches and administrators," Fulmer said. "We want to allow our fans to be a part of this memorable evening, and I hope many of them will join us on Oct. 25."

Tickets to attend the dinner and induction ceremony on Oct. 25 cost $75.00 and will officially go on sale during the week of Sept. 15.