Swim/Dive - Orange and White

Taylor Abbott in the 10,000 Free during the Orange and White intrasquad meet at Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatic Center on Sept. 29, 2017.

The Tennessee swimming team’s men swept Auburn and Wisconsin, and its women split the meet during the top-25 double dual meet hosted by Auburn this weekend.

Tennessee’s No. 18-ranked men’s team defeated No. 10 Auburn 180-173 and had even less trouble with No. 25 Wisconsin, beating them by a score of 261-91.

The Vols’ No. 14-ranked women’s team beat No. 12 Wisconsin 204-149 but was narrowly defeated by No. 15 Auburn 181-172.

This was Tennessee’s first dual-meet victory over Auburn since 2008 and first on the road since 1995.

Sophomore Taylor Abbott took the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:25.89 and senior Peter John Stevens won his signature event, the 100 breaststroke, in a time of 54.34.

Stevens also swam the breaststroke leg on the 200 medley relay team, earning the win with teammates Braga Verhage, Ryan Coetzee and Kyle DeCoursey.

Sophomore Tess Cieplucha won the 400 IM, and sophomore Erika Brown won the 100 butterfly. The women’s relay team of Meghan Small, Erika Brown, Stanzi Moseley and Tjasa Pintar won the 400 freestyle relay in a time of 3:18.95.

The Tennessee men won 10 out of the 19 events, and the women won five events.

“We have great depth on both teams, more than we’ve had in recent memory,” said head coach Matt Kredich. “We can count on a lot of people to be very competitive.”

Tennessee’s diving team also earned some quality results.

Junior Colin Zeng, a transfer from Ohio State, won both the 1-meter and 3-meter springboard events, and Liam Stone took second in both events.

“On the men’s side, I’m pleased to see Colin and Liam take first and second in both events and Nick (Rusek) taking fourth today,” said diving coach Dave Parrington. “It was good performances this early in the season and good competing, particularly in today’s event.”

Junior Rachel Rubadue won the 1-meter event on the women’s side and finished second in the 3-meter for the Vols.

“I was really pleased with Rachel (Rubadue) coming in yesterday and picking up a really good win against an extremely strong diver from Auburn,” Parrington said.

The next meet for the Vols will be a double dual home meet against Kentucky and Indiana on Oct. 27 at Jones Aquatic Center.