UT Swim and Dive vs. Purdue University
Tennessee's Erika Brown competes in the 100 meter butterfly race on Friday, November 8, 2019 at the Allan Jones Aquatic Center.

This Saturday, the Tennessee swimming and diving team traveled to Athens for a meet against the Bulldogs. The #4 Lady Vols defeated the #9 Georgia women’s team 199-101, staying undefeated, but the #12 Vols lost to the #8 Georgia men’s team 176.5-122.5.

Erika Brown put in a great performance for the Lady Vols. The senior from Charlotte, NC, won in 200 m freestyle, 100 m freestyle and 100 m butterfly style. Her 200 m freestyle win came by only 2 seconds.

Also, in the 100 m butterfly, Tennessee swept the top four positions, with Trude Rothrock, Mallory Bell, and McKenna Morrello following behind Brown.

Adding to the win total for the Tennessee women’s team was Meghan Small. Small came in first in both the 200 m individual medley and 100 m backstroke. The 200 m individual medley was a trilling come from behind win for Small and in the 100 m backstroke, fellow Lady Vol Danika Katzer came in second.

In the 1,000-yard swim, Amanda Nunan picked up a career-best run. The win moves her to third all-time in the event in Tennessee women’s history. Nunan also finished first in the 500-yard swim.

Grace Cable also contributed from the diving board. The sophomore won both the 3-meter and 1-meter springboard.

"This weekend was huge for us," associate head coach Ashley Jahn said. "Georgia is extremely competitive and it brought out the best in us. We had seven different event winners and several 1-2-3 finishes today as well as winning both the 200 medley relay and 400 free relay. We took 14 of 16 events and got an even better feel for the pool. We'll be back here in March for NCAAs and this will be valuable experience for us to fall back on."

For the men, the meet was started by Matthew Garcia, Michael Houlie, Braga Verhage and Seth Thompson-Bailey winning the 200 m medley relay for the Vols.

Garcia also added a win in the 100 m backstroke as an individual. Houlie also earned an individual win in the 100 m breaststroke, with fellow Tennessee men’s player Jarel Dillard finishing in second.

Verhage tied for the win in the 50 m freestyle, while Alec Connolly won the 100 m freestyle.

Junior Keegan Richardson fell just short in both diving events, finishing second in the 3-meter and 1-meter springboards.

"Georgia is a great challenge," associate head coach Lance Asti said. "We had some guys step up and swim well but we need to get back to work, sharpen up and prepare for Florida next week."

"There were numerous highlights today from both the men and women," head diving coach Dave Parrington said. "Grace made an excellent return to dual meet competition after being out of action on 3-meter for quite some time. With two wins against a strong Georgia diving squad, it made today even more special. Ana was strong especially on 1-meter and Emily Ann was very competitive too on the 1-meter board. I was pleased (sic) to see Keegan's scrappiness to pull out a pair of second place finishes and also Nick who bagged an important third at a point in the meet when we really needed it."

The Vols and Lady Vols have one last meet before heading to Auburn, AL, for the SEC championships. Tennessee will host Florida at 10 a.m. at the Jones Aquatic Center.