2019 Orange & White Intrasquad swim meet

The Tennessee swimming and diving team during their Orange and White Intrasquad meet at Jones Aquatic Center on Friday, September 20, 2019.

The Tennessee swimming and diving team had a successful showing in their season opener on Friday, sweeping the Seahawk Natatorium in Wilmington, North Carolina.

The women’s team swept each event in their 205-88 win behind performances from sophomore diver Grace Cable, senior Tess Cieplucha, junior Tjasa Pintar and sophomore Mallory Beil.

On the men’s side, Alec Connolly and diver Will Hallam notched two event wins, helping the Vols to wins in 13 of 16 total events in a 193-107 victory.

For the Lady Vols, Cieplucha and Beil set new pool record with their 200 breaststroke and 100 fly performances, respectively. Cieplucha recorded a time of 2:12.61 in the 200 breast while Beil tallied a time of 54.80 in the fly.

“Tess is now on the all-time leader board for the pool in the 200 breaststroke, Mallory for the 100 fly,” Tennessee associate head coach Ashley Jahn said. “They had great swims. They were both really excited and focused on what they needed to work on. They did a great job of executing and adjusting really well today.”

In her Tennessee debut, Cable won the one and three meter springboard events with scores of 276.80 and 343.50. The 343.50 score in the 3-meter is fifth all-time in program history.

“For Grace in her debut to be able to step up in an adverse environment,” diving coach Dave Parrington said. “It was loud in there, she really stepped up in her first competition for the University of Tennessee and that was really pleasing to see.”

For the men, Connolly led the team in the pool with wins in the 200 freestyle and 200 IM, swimming times of 1:41.78 and 1:53.99, respectively.

Hallam grabbed wins on the one and three meter springboard with scores of 327.00 and 369.68, respectively.

“Alec Connolly is a tremendous competitor and that is not a surprise,” associate head coach Lance Asti said. “Seeing his consistency, it’s really showing up and he is racing at a high level.”

Also for the men, freshmen tandem Joel Giraudeau and Oskar Hoff won their first collegiate meets in the men’s 200 and 100 fly.

“Joel and Oskar did a great job, stepping up and winning as freshmen” Asti said. “It shows we’re getting deeper, we need to get deeper. We need our guys to keep turning over every stone to get better each and every time we hit the water.”

Tennessee will next head to Columbia, South Carolina for a SEC dual meet with the South Carolina Gamecocks on Oct. 11.