File: Studying

Head to Hodges to catch up on some quiet studying. 

Fourteen student-athletes can now add Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar to their resume, after excelling on the field and in the classroom.

Undergraduate students garner the honor by maintaining a 3.2 GPA, demonstrating service to the campus or community and holding at least a sophomore standing. The scholar honors is sponsored by “Diverse: Issues in Higher Education,” a newsmagazine that looks to bring “critical news, information and insightful commentary on the full range of issues concerning diversity in American higher education.”

"I am so proud of these 14 student-athletes," Joe Scogin, senior associate athletics director and assistant provost, said. "The Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar recognition celebrates student-athletes that take advantage of every opportunity college athletics provides.”

Tennis star Arthur Ashe, Jr. inspires the award, recognizing his commitment to education and his love for the game of tennis. The awards began in 1992, and colleges and universities across the country celebrate student-athletes through the annual awards.

Men's swimming and diving red-shirt senior Colin Zeng, men's track and field sophomore Nick Boogades, soccer senior Shae Yanez and softball junior Chelsea Seggern were named first team honors.

Second team honors include junior defensive line football player Matthew Butler; women's golf sophomore Mariah Smith; women's golf sophomore Waverly Whiston; women's swimming and diving sophomore Tjasa Pintar; women's tennis junior Ariadna Riley; softball sophomore Ashley Morgan; and softball pitcher Matty Moss.

Women's track and field senior Lenysse Dyer and volleyball senior Asha Phillips received third team honors. Football defensive back Cheyenne Labruzza received fourth team honors.

“These students choose to give their all for Tennessee – in the classroom, competitively and throughout our amazing community,” Scogin added. “I'm delighted that we get to take a moment to celebrate the incredible student-athletes that represent the University of Tennessee each and every day.