The second ranked pair in the tournament began their run with an 8-5 win over the Lipscomb University pairing of Pablo Caffarena and Victor Chaw. After that they bested University of Kentucky opponents Kevin Huempfner and Fabian Penzkofer in an 8-3 victory.

The team of Andrew Rogers and Pat Harper also competed in the doubles bracket. They entered the tournament seeded 11th and managed to beat the Louisville team 8-6 before falling 8-6 to Butler’s pairing. They finished their run in the quarterfinal.

Stodder also competed in the singles sets, where he earned three wins over Indiana’s Brandon Lam by scores of 6-0, 3-6, and 6-2. These wins advance him into the quarterfinals, where he will continue his run Sunday. Stodder entered the tournament with the top seeding of UT’s entries after a strong run last year when he made it to the final match of the Championship.

Touliatos and Scott Jones also entered the singles competition and passed through the Round of 64 and Round of 32, but were both beaten in the Round of 16 by players from Indiana and Purdue respectively. This ends Jones’ run in the competition, but allows Touliatos to focus on the doubles match beginning on Sunday where he and Stodder will continue in their brackets.

Overall, results are mixed with the losses of Rogers, Harper, and Jones, but the wins from Stodder and Touliatos can be seen as progress for the Vols tennis squad. And while the losses may be seen as a negative now, the close matches and strong play can be seen as a positive indication for the squad, both as single and doubles competitors.

The young team of Harper and Rogers will likely improve in the future on what was an already admirable quarterfinal run. They also may be heading towards more opportunities, as they will be in line to replace Touliatos and Stodder, both seniors set to graduate after this year.

The doubles bracket will continue at 9:00 a.m. Sunday with Touliatos and Stodder fighting for a spot in Monday’s final. After that the singles bracket quarterfinal matches will begin at 10:30 a.m., with the semifinal matches directly following them. Monday will mark the final day of the tournament.