Softball vs. Ohio State

#17, Chelsea Seggern hits the ball during the NCAA Regionals game against Ohio State University on May 18, 2019.

Lady Vol softball is off to an excellent start at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Arizona. They are 3-0 on the weekend thus far with wins against Northwestern and Kansas on Saturday, along with a victory over the Western on Sunday.

Tennessee fell behind early against Northwestern, but quickly erased the deficit thanks to a home run from freshman Kiki Milloy, who sent a ball over the wall in her first collegiate at-bat to tie the game 1-1. 

Callie Turner was able to sit Northwestern down 1-2-3 in the top of the second inning and the Lady Vols took full advantage in the bottom half of the frame and took a 2-1 on a single off the bat of senior Jenna Holcomb. The score would hold steady until the Wildcats were able to scratch a run across in the fifth inning to knot things up once again at 2-2. 

The tie was broken up quickly in the bottom of the fifth when sophomore Kaili Phillips went deep for a three-run blast, putting the Lady Vols on top 5-2. Tennessee would add a run to its lead in the sixth inning on a RBI single from Amanda Ayala. 

The Wildcats were able to get one last run in the seventh, but that would be all. The Lady Vols took the season opener at a final of 6-3.

The bats of the Lady Vols picked up right where they left off in the second game of their double header against Kansas. Tennessee took a 2-0 lead early in the first inning off of a solo home run from senior Chelsea Seggern and an RBI double from junior Ashley Morgan. 

Milloy would score on an error in the third inning, followed by a two RBI triple by sophomore Ally Shipman to put the Lady Vols up 5-0. The Jayhawks were able to put up their first run of the game on a grounder in the fourth inning, but Seggern proved eager to get that run back in the bottom of the inning with her second solo home run of the night. 

Kansas tacked on an unearned run in the fifth inning, cutting the Tennessee lead to 6-2 before the Lady Vols broke the game open in the sixth inning, scoring four runs on five hits to defeat the Jayhawks, 10-2.

The Lady Vols continued their winning ways on Sunday against Western Michigan. Tennessee fell behind in the first inning as the Broncos were able to jump out to a 2-0 lead. 

The Lady Vols struck back with three runs of their own to take the lead in the top of the first off of scores from Phillips and freshmen Anna Fox and Madison Webber. 

After a solo home run and a two-out RBI single, the Broncos found themselves back on top. After falling behind 4-3, the Tennessee bats turned it on and never looked back. They hung five runs on the board in the third inning thanks to RBIs from a large group of Phillips, Shipman, Morgan, Seggern and Ayala. 

Redshirt sophomore Samantha Bender put the Lady Vols right back on offense after sitting Western Michigan down in order. Tennessee added five more runs to its lead in the fourth inning to put them on top 13-4. 

The Broncos avoided being run-ruled by scoring two runs in the bottom half of the fourth, but the game was called at the hard 1:30 p.m. stop time due to Western Michigan’s travel plans. 

According to NCAA rules, any game where at least five innings aren’t completed is declared, “no game." So, the Lady Vols will have to be content with their victory in a scrimmage of sorts.

Tennessee dropped its first game of the season against Arizona in Sunday’s nightcap, falling 8-0. The Lady Vols' bats were finally quieted Sunday night after a strong showing earlier in the weekend. Arizona took advantage of walks and errors committed in the field by the Lady Vols, handing Turner her first loss of the year in the circle. 

After a five run first inning, the Wildcats went without scoring again until the fifth inning when they pushed across three more runs to seal the run-rule and put an end to the Lady Vols’ early season win streak.