Softball vs Kansas

Tennessee softball Co-head Coaches Ralph and Karen Weekly with Haley Bearden, #11, during game against Kansas on Feb. 22, 2019 at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium.

The No. 7 Tennessee softball team (16-2) was tied 1-1 against New Mexico University (5-12) heading into the top of the third inning. Haley Bearden and Kaili Phillips hit back-to-back home runs, and the Lady Vols would score six runs in the inning to earn a 7-1 lead.

The Lady Vols would go on to win 15-1 against the Lady Lobos. The win gives Tennessee eight-straight wins, including the last three at the Judi Garman Classic.

11 Lady Vols recorded 18 hits on Friday night. Six of them recorded multiple hits and the freshman, Phillips, led the team with three. She also led the team with five RBIs. Ally Shipman and Phillips would hit back-to-back moonshots in a seven run fifth inning.

Lead-off hitter Aubrey Leach was one of the Lady Vols who recorded multiple hits. She notched two walks to reach base four times in the game. She would tally a run and three RBIs.

Freshmen Shipman and Gracie Osbron were the only Lady Vols to have doubles on Saturday. Amanda Ayala and Bearden recorded two walks each against the Lady Lobos to add to the team total of nine. New Mexico's pitching staff only recorded one strikeout against the lineup.

Caylan Arnold was credited with the win to give her a 7-1 record in 2019. She went for three innings, gave up one home run, two walks, three hits and struck out seven.

Matty Moss also saw action in the game against the Lady Lobos. She pitched two innings, gave up only one base hit, no walks and recorded two strikeouts.

The Lady Vols' batting order has proven to be one of the team’s best assets so far during the weekend tournament. Tennessee is out-scoring its opponents 31-5 in games this weekend. The team has also recorded 38 hits while in California.

The Lady Vols were error-free again on Friday, and have only committed four in the 18 games played. As a team, they have a 99 percent fielding percentage. They are tied with Florida for the second lowest amount of errors in the country, with three teams not committing an error yet in 2019.

Tennessee will be back in action Saturday as it finishes up the games on the West Coast. They play the No. 20 Oregon Lady Ducks and the Michigan Wolverines in a double-header. Next weekend they will take on No. 3 Florida Gators in Gainesville.