Softball vs. North Carolina

#52, Madison Pacini warms up between innings during the NCAA Regional Final against the University of North Carolina on Sunday, May 19, 2019.

On their second day in Puerto Vallarta, the No.12 Lady Vols (6-2) beat Utah, 8-4, but were shut out by the Texas Longhorns, 11-0, Friday night.

Despite the aggressive efforts from Utah, Tennessee was able to take down the Utes in the end. Utah led 1-0 through 2.5 innings before UT got its first hit in the bottom of the third. Cailin Hannon was hit by a pitch with loaded bases to bring in Kaitlin Parsons who got on an errant throw, tying the game.

Tennessee took a one-run lead on an RBI single from Jenna Holcomb to bring in Kaili Phillips for a brief moment. Utah’s Haley Denning pushed the Lady Vols, leading off the top of the fifth with a single and two stolen bases. Denning reached the plate first in a three-run half, putting the Utes back on top, 4-2.

To come back, the Lady Vols pushed for a five-run inning to take and maintain the lead for the remainder of the game. Phillips doubled to bring in Chelsea Seggern and Ashley Morgan singled to get pinch runner Treasuary Poindexter across the plate. 

Kiki Milloy nailed a three-run shot, her only of the game, through centerfield to bring the Lady Vols to an 8-4 lead.

UT turned its second double-play to prevent Utah from taking a lead after the Utes added one more run and had the tying run on base.

The Lady Vols didn’t fare as well against the Longhorns, who shut them out late Valentine's Day. 

To end Friday’s double-header, Tennessee fell in a five-inning game to No. 6 Texas who had an eight-run opening frame, enacting the run-rule.

The Lady Vols only managed one hit and got on base three times. Tennessee also gave up three more runs across the second and third frames and were only unable to prevent Texas from scoring in the bottom of the fourth.

After four errors, Tennessee's defense struggled and Kiki Milloy earned her first official loss of the season.

Tennessee finished off its time in Vallarta picking up a 5-2 win over California Baptist Friday. Cal Baptist got off to an early 1-0 lead Saturday before the Lady Vols pulled ahead and used strong pitching to pick up their sixth win of the season.

Cal Baptist recorded just four hits in the loss as Callie Turner got the win for Tennessee.