Softball

University of Tennessee Softball team before the start of Georgia game, on March 31, 2018.

After jumping out to a six run lead, the No. 6 Tennessee Softball team cruised past the University of Utah 10-1 in six innings. Earlier in the day, Tennessee would fall to No. 23 James Madison 6-2. The Lady Vols make their record 8-1.

The Lady Vols split runs with James Madison in a 2-2 tie heading in to the second inning. Chelsea Seggern had the only RBIs for the Lady Vols, hitting a two-run homerun and driving home Amanda Ayala.

James Madison scored in the top-half of the second, adding two to their total. The Lady Dukes would go on to push it to the final tally in the top of the fifth and sixth innings. The team hit five homeruns off of the Lady Vols

The Lady Vols recorded three hits and five walks in the game. Matty Moss gave up four earned runs, five hits, and nine strikeouts while recording 6.2 innings pitched after a short Caylan Arnold start.

In the second game, the Lady Vols would see a 6-0 lead before freshman Ashley Rogers gave up her only run with seven hits. She had five strikeouts against Utah on her way to a 3-0 record for the 2019 season. Moss worked the last inning, recording two strikeouts.

Ayala and Ashley Morgan recorded three RBIs and three hits each against the Lady Utes. Seggern had two RBIs of her own and added one walk to the team total of five. All three recorded one double, along with Hayley Bearden.

The Lady Vols had three strikeouts against Utah’s pitching staff. The Tennessee softball team recorded 13 hits collectively. Seven different Lady Vols put the ball in play.

Aubrey Leach was one of the patient ones at the plate on Saturday, recording three walks combined bringing her season total to five. She scored two runs against the Utes on Saturday.

Saturday was a split in double-header action for the Lady Vols, giving the team their first loss of the season. James Madison’s Kate Gordon had three homeruns off the Lady Vols’ pitching staff. Megan Good was credited with a complete game, six strikeouts while giving up five walks and the two earned runs.

Against Utah, the Lady Vols would end the game before the final frame. The Lady Utes would commit two errors that would give the pitching staff eight earned runs on the 10 runs the Lady Vols scored.

The Lady Vols will be back in action Sunday night against No. 1 and defending National Champion Florida State. First pitch is at 7 p.m. from the St. Pete Clearwater Invitational.