Aubrey Leach was the first hitter up in the Lady Vols’ lineup. She would knock a single to reach base in her first at-bat. Haley Bearden drove in Leach with a single before the first inning was over and it was the first of Leach’s three runs scored on Tuesday.

The Lady Vols (19-3) defeated Middle Tennessee (13-12) 8-0 in the one-game Midstate Classic. Nine different Lady Vols recorded a hit, and four players recorded multiple hits. The game would end in a run-rule.

Leach was one of the Lady Vols with multiple hits in the game and was also the only Lady Vol to record a walk. Amanda Ayala had two hits and recorded three RBIs. Chelsea Seggern had two hits and drove in a run. Cailin Hannon recorded a pair of hits and scored a pair of runs for the Lady Vols.

Ashley Rogers took the pitcher’s circle for the Lady Vols on Tuesday. She was electric the entire evening, going for six innings, only giving up two hits and one walk and recording nine strikeouts in the complete game shutout effort. Middle Tennessee would only put runners in scoring position twice.

The Lady Vols combined for 13 hits against Middle Tennessee. Ayala and Seggern were the only players for the Lady Vols to record extra base hits, each adding a double to the stat sheet.

The Lady Vols’ lineup was putting pressure on the Middle Tennessee pitching staff from the first batter in the first inning. Amber Baldwin gave up most of the hits against Tennessee. She allowed 10, giving up six earned runs and only recording one strikeout.

The Tennessee softball team only had a 2-0 lead heading in to the bottom of the fifth inning. In the frame, the Lady Vols would record three runs before hitting for their first out. With the lead 5-0, the Lady Vols had the bases loaded and chose to add Savannah Huffstetler to the lineup. The move proved successful, as she hit a sac-fly and recorded an RBI in the at-bat.

Ayala’s extra base hit was timely; it was the last hit of the game. After Ayala put the ball in play, two Lady Vols would come around to make the score final. It was her second double of the year.

The Lady Vols will be back in action this weekend, taking on Brigham Young and the Texas Longhorns. The team will play Brigham Young Thursday and Saturday and will play Texas Friday and Sunday. All games will be at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium.