Softball vs Kansas

Chelsea Seggern, #17, during game against Kansas on Feb. 22, 2019 at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium.

Coming off a successful weekend against Arkansas, the Lady Vols (26-5, 4-2 SEC) are ready to continue SEC play as they head to Missouri to face off the Tigers (16-12, 5-4 SEC) this upcoming weekend.

Tennessee won two out of three games against Arkansas last weekend, advancing to 4-2 in conference play and winning its second straight SEC series. The Lady Vols will continue against SEC opponents for the next month as they gear up for both Auburn and Mississippi State after Missouri.

"Every week is just a battle,” co-head coach Ralph Weekly said. “There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. You know all 13 of the teams are going to go to NCAAs and any of them can beat you. On paper, we should have been better than Arkansas, but last week was a matchup and a battle all the way.”

The pitching staff is preparing to pull out all the stops this upcoming weekend, starting Caylan Arnold and having Matty Moss and Ashley Rogers ready to relieve at any time. After SEC announcing Moss as pitcher of the week this past Tuesday, the Lady Vols are feeling good about their players on the mound.

The Lady Vols’ pitching has been strong all season. Opponents have had just a .184 batting average per game and 129 hits to 700 at bats. The pitchers average about eight strikeouts per game, allowing 25 home runs this season.

“I really like embracing just being a teammate,” explained Moss. “Even if I don’t throw for a series, I just like to make sure my pitchers are taken care of. You know, they got their game ball and it’s all dirtied up and they feel comfortable in the bullpen with whatever they’re doing. I just like helping out and fulfilling a role.”

Chelsea Seggern has come into her junior year strong and is expected to continue to make impacts throughout the rest of the season. Seggern has remained a game leader for Tennessee over the past few games, tallying two hits and three RBI’s against Arkansas.

Out of 70 at bats, 30 hits and 23 RBIs for a .429 batting average, she’s part of a potent Tennessee offense that posted a batting average of .333 and 189 RBIs.

Seggern also gained a Sports Center Top Ten play over the weekend for her performance against Arkansas, and plans to take that same competitive mentality into the upcoming weekend.

"We’re all in the right mindset of ‘it’s just another conference weekend’,” stated Seggern. “We can’t overlook Missouri, they came off a great weekend of sweeping Kentucky, so they’re ready for us. We really need to prepare for them but we’re definitely excited.”

The Lady Vols will begin play against Missouri this Saturday at 7 p.m. in Columbia. They will continue play throughout the weekend, playing at 6 p.m. on Sunday and 7 p.m. on Monday.