Softball vs Kansas

Tianna Batts, #5, prior to the game against Kansas on Feb. 22, 2019 at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. 

Tennessee capped off its last game against Missouri in a weekend series with a 9-3 win, leaving them with two victories and one loss, taking the series. It’s the third straight SEC series win for the Lady Vols, improving their conference record to 6-3.

The Tigers struck first with a leadoff home run in the bottom of the first, but left a runner stranded on second after a strikeout and 6-3 groundout. The Missouri defense then took Tennessee to the bottom of the frame, with the score remaining 0-1.

In the bottom of the second, Moss and the rest of the Tennessee defense retired Missouri quickly, bringing Katie Weimer, Ashley Rogers and Jenna Holcomb up to bat.

Weimer doubled to the right-center gap before Amanda Ayala came in to pinch run and Rogers stepped up to the plate. Rogers singled to left field, allowing Weimer to head home, advancing the score to 1-1.

In the top of the third, Holcomb singled to third base before Aubrey Leach walked and loaded the bases. Cailin Hannon’s hit towards left-center cleared the bases and gave the Lady Vols the lead of 4-1.

Chelsea Seggern then added to Missouri’s struggles after an RBI single to center advanced the score to 5-1.

The Tigers pushed to regain their lead after adding a run and moving their runners to second and third before bringing the score to 5-2. After the Tigers put another point on the board, Holcomb secured the third out after diving for a hit to left-center, sending the game into the fourth.

In the top of the fourth, Leach banged a hit past first base, putting runners on corners before Hannon came up to bat.

Tianna Batts was able to steal home to make the score 6-3 on a delayed double-steal play. Leach was chased back to first before a strikeout ended the frame.

In the bottom of the fourth, Rogers delivered two massive strikeouts before Leach tossed to Morgan at first, leaving a Tiger with nowhere to go.

Haley Bearden hit a one-out double to left and Morgan reached on an error from the Tiger’s first baseman. Parsons’ pickle allowed Bearden to score before she was tagged out, bringing the score to 7-3.

In the top of the seventh, Seggern and Leach made it to second and third on a groundout from Bearden. Leach eventually made it home and Seggern advanced to third on an error from Missouri’s first baseman, pushing the Lady Vols to an 8-3 lead.

Morgan scored Seggern on an RBI single towards the right-field wall before the ending the game, with a score of 9-3.

The Lady Vols play next this upcoming weekend against Auburn in Lindsey-Nelson Stadium.