Softball vs. North Carolina

#11, Haley Bearden after hitting the ball during the NCAA Regional Final against the University of North Carolina on Sunday, May 19, 2019.

The Lady Vols got a much needed win vs. UT Martin on Tuesday, coming off of a rough weekend in Florida. 

The Lady Vols did not get off to the start they wanted, giving up a run in both the first and 3rd innings, without scoring one of their own. Going into the bottom of the third inning, The Lady Vols were down 2-0. Then, KK McCary hit a bomb to left center field, tying the game at 2-2. This was her first career home run and it came when Tennessee needed it most. 

When asked about McCary and her first home run, Tennessee coach Karen Weekly had amazing things to say about her freshman 3rd baseman.

“She has a lot of confidence in herself at the plate, and we’ve seen that all through the fall and all through January, and believe me we’re doing everything we can to find ways to get her in the lineup and get her more at bats. Because even though she’s just a freshman, she feels like she’s one of our most confident hitters.”

After the third inning, Tennessee pitcher Callie Turner did not give up any runs, and had four strikeouts. After pitching a complete game where she only gave up one run, the second run was on an error, Tennessee hoach Karen Weekly had this to about how Turner’s great performance helped the Lady Vols win a close game.

“She helped a lot, we got into some jams and Callie worked her way out of them. They put those two runs up early and I thought she did a great job after that just really pitching tough and had some great innings. They were not all one, two, three innings, but we did have a couple of those. She got some big outs especially at the top of the seventh, that was a big out she got because their three-hole was a very good hitter”

Despite the great performance by Callie Turner, Tennessee entered the bottom of the seventh tied at two, and with the game on the line Jenna Holcomb came up to bat. She hit an infield fly that should have been caught for an out, however the catcher and the third baseman ran into each other resulting in an error that allowed Holcomb to make it to first. 

Kia Milloy then replaced Holcomb at first as a pinch runner and stole second base. Chelsea Seggern then came up to bat with the game on the line. When asked about her game winning at-bat, Seggern explained that she did not approach it any differently.

“You have to take it like every other at bat I had and keep it simple in my approach, I’m just really looking for a good pitch to drive in Kiki. She was in a great position just to poke something through the middle. I didn't have to do too much and you know she has super speed, just going up there confident. This is my fourth year so I've had a lot of at-bats in those situations”

With the confidence and poise you expect from a senior leader, Seggern hit a line drive down the right field line, which allowed Milloy to easily go from second to home. The walk off double gave the Lady Vols their sixth win of the season and their 100th in state victory.

Up next

The Lady Vols head on the road to Johnson City, Tennessee, for the ETSU Tournament from Feb. 28-March 1. UT will face the Bowling Green Falcons on Friday at 10 a.m. (ET) followed by the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles at 12 p.m. Saturday will start out with a rematch against the Golden Eagles  at 10 a.m. before another bout with the Falcons at noon. Sunday Tennessee will face host-team ETSU at 1 p.m.