Softball vs Auburn

#17. Chelsea Seggern walks off the field after an inning during the game against Auburn University on Sunday April 7, 2019 at the Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. 

The No. 9/8 Lady Vols (29-8, 7-5 SEC) dropped their first conference series of the season this past weekend against Auburn.

Tennessee will have the opportunity to redeem itself in another conference matchup this coming weekend against Mississippi State (25-14, 3-9), which is coming off of a midweek win over Memphis.

Before the series against Auburn, the Lady Vols had won their first three conference series over Florida, Arkansas and Missouri.

After dropping the opening game against Auburn, Tennessee struggled to generate any offense in the second of three games.

“Your message after you lose two is just 'find a way to come back,'” co-head coach Karen Weekly said. “Dig deep within yourself.”

The Lady Vols found their footing in the last game of the series, capturing an 8-1 victory.

Ashley Rogers was strong in the circle, pitching a complete game for the Lady Vols. She only surrendered one run on five hits and fanned six batters.

Chelsea Seggern led the way for Tennessee’s offense with three hits in four at-bats. She scored two of the Lady Vols’ eight runs.

Junior Jenna Holcomb showed up in a big way for Tennessee as well. On the defensive end, she came up with two highlight catches out in left field. She also was 2-for-3 at the plate.

Despite its conference record, Mississippi State will prove to be a tough out for the Lady Vols and they are well aware of it.

The Lady Bulldogs also dropped their last conference series and they will look to try to get back in the win column this weekend.

Karen Weekly is expecting an exciting matchup between two teams who love to put runs on the board.

“I think they’re a very powerful team, a very potent team,” Weekly said. “When you look at a lot of their games, they’ve been very high scoring.”

The Lady Vols come in with the third-highest batting average in the conference at a .324 clip.

The offense is spearheaded by Aubrey Leach, who has 43 runs so far this season and is 12 runs short of breaking the school’s career run record of 244.

On the other side, Mississippi State is fifth in the conference with 49 long balls so far this season.

They are led by 2019 Preseason All-SEC selection Mia Davidson, who leads the team with 20 home runs.

The first of the three-game series will begin on Friday evening. The first pitch will be thrown at 6:00 p.m. ET.