The Vols vs. Fordham University

#7, MA Vignola dribbles past Fordham's offense during the game against Fordham University at Regal Stadium on August 22, 2019.

No. 11 Tennessee took their first loss of the season when they visited the now 3-0 Rutgers Scarlet Knights in New Jersey on Thursday night. The final score was 1-0.

Rutgers senior forward Brittany LaPlant scored the Scarlet Knights’ lone goal of the night in goal in the 48th minute of regulation.

Although Rutgers had the Lady Vols beat on shot differential, 15-7, Tennessee had possession for 58 percent of the match. They played to their strengths and kept up the offensive intensity, as more than two thirds of that possession time was kept on Rutgers’ half of the field. 

Senior striker MA Vignola lead her team on offense with three total shots. One of which was on target from about 25 yards out, but it ricocheted off the crossbar. The shot was taken in the 14th minute, and this was their closest shot of the match. Redshirt Junior Erin Gilroy had the Lady Vols’ only shot on goal in the second half.

The first half came to a close with both teams being held scoreless. Freshman goalkeeper Lindsey Romig notched her first two saves as a Volunteer, as she had to repel Rutgers’ continuous attack. The Scarlet Knights had a 9-3 shot advantage in the opening half.

Rutgers’ only goal came three minutes into the second half, as LaPlant scored from eight yards away.

Redshirt sophomore Charli Pogany kept her team within one goal as she recorded her third save for the year. This was a diving foot save in the 87th minute after a one on one faceoff with Nneka Moneme to keep the score at 1-0.

Tennessee was able to secure a few corner kicks in the game’s waning minutes, but they were unable to capitalize to tie the game up.

The Lady Vols will look to bounce back on Sunday as they continue their Northeastern road trip to Columbia in New York, New York. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.