The Vols vs. Fordham University

#7, MA Vignola looks for a pass during the game against Fordham University at Regal Stadium on August 22, 2019.

Tennessee Soccer (6-2-1) hopes to bounce back in their second SEC road trip, this time visiting Auburn (4-3-2).

In their last outing, the Lady Vols suffered a devastating loss to the 17th ranked Vanderbilt Commodores (8-1). That game was taken into the 110th minute in golden goal overtime. Both teams looked evenly matched, but a last minute goal from Vanderbilt’s Madiya Harriott ended the match 46 seconds away from a draw.

On the year, Tennessee has rattled off 14.6 shots per game, with over half of those shots coming on frame. They have tallied 18 goals in 2019, averaging two goals per game. Their defense has held an average of 7.9 shots per game, with roughly one-third coming on goal.

The Volunteers have had a dominant offense with plenty of weapons. They’ve had 10 different players score goals, including multiple freshmen. Their head coach, Brian Penksy, was able to land the No. 6 overall recruiting class last year, bringing 15 fresh faces to Rocky Top. The large movement of youth has helped the Lady Vols bring lots of momentum on offense, and allowed their upperclassmen to lead them to an impressive record thus far in 2019.

Auburn is also doing well offensively. The Tigers are averaging 16.4 shots per game, but less than half of those have been shots on goal. They have totalled 16 goals in 2019, averaging 1.78 goals per game. They have had five players score goals this year.

Tennessee has been going through some injury battles in their goalkeeper position. Freshman Lindsey Romig seems to be the team's starter going forward. Redshirt sophomore, Charli Pogani, played the last three games before Vanderbilt in place of Romig as she nursed a minor injury. Romig played all 110 minutes against Vanderbilt, totalling one save against Vanderbilt's two shots on goal.

The Volunteers will be looking to improve their SEC record and re-establish their offensive prowess against the Tigers. Tennessee will have a tough matchup on its hands. They have to keep their possession percentage high and find shots often to get back to winning soccer.

The Lady Vols matchup against the Tigers is for Thursday, September 26th. The game will be streamable on SEC Network+. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.