The Lady Vols vs. UGA
Senior defender MA Vignola, #7, fights for the ball in the midfield. Vignola has been honored with the 2018 United Coaches All-Region (second team), 2018 All-SEC (second team), and TopDrawerSoccer.com Team of the Week (8/21/18).

The Tennessee soccer team traveled to Columbia, Missouri for an SEC match against the Missouri Tigers. The Vols fell to the Tigers by a score of 2-0. 

The first half was very uneventful, with neither side being able to find a goal.

Tennessee wasn't even unable to get a single shot off, the first time they had been held shot less in a half all season.

Mizzou was not very successful either, registering just two shots, neither shot ending in a goal. The teams tied with three corner kicks and four fouls each in the first half.

Sophomore Charli Pogany played the entire match and had a career high six saves. Pogany had a clean sheet going until the Tigers broke the deadlock with only eight minutes remaining in regular time.

Julia Cisneros was the Tigers forward who buried the ball in the back of the net, breaking the deadlock in favor of the home team in the 82nd minute. The goal came off an assist from senior Sarah Leubbert. Four minutes later, Luebbert was able to double the Missouri lead, giving the Tigers insurance in the waning minutes of the game.

The Vols had chances in the 2nd half, registering six shots, but Tennessee was unable to convert any of these chances into a goal. Sophomore Mackenzie George accounted for half of these, including the only shot that was on frame. MA Vignola, Michelle Alozie and Tara Katz also managed shots, they were all off target.

Statistically, Missouri led the Vols 14-6 in shots over the entire match. The crucial stat, however, was that Missouri finished with eight shots on frame compared to Tennessee’s single shot on frame. The teams tied at 5 apiece for corners, while Tennessee commuted six fouls compared to Missouri’s four.

The Vols will stay on the road for a match at South Carolina on Wednesday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Columbia, South Carolina.