The Lady Vols vs. UGA
Senior defender MA Vignola, #7, fights for the ball in the midfield. Vignola has been honored with the 2018 United Coaches All-Region (second team), 2018 All-SEC (second team), and TopDrawerSoccer.com Team of the Week (8/21/18).

Tennessee soccer traveled to Starkville, Mississippi for their match against the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Sunday.

The Volunteers drew with the Bulldogs by a score of 1-1, with senior MA Vignola scoring the lone goal for Tennessee.

The opening half was uneventful with neither side notching a goal, though the stats show a half controlled by the Volunteers. Tennessee led in both shots and corner with seven shots over Mississippi State’s three and four corners earned compared to the home side’s single offensive corner.

The scoring was opened in the 53rd minute by the forward Onyi Echegini in for Bulldogs. The strike by the freshman came from outside the 18-yard box. Olivia Hernandez and Monigo Karnley assisted Echegini on the play. Karnley is the Bulldogs’ team leader in assists, this assist being her sixth of the year.

The equalizer for the Vols came in the 64th minute of the match. Vignola, the senior who leads the Vols in scoring, converted from the penalty spot. The Mississippi State keeper guessed right on the direction of the kick, but Vignola powered the ball in anyways. 

The goal was Vignola’s third goal from the spot this year. The opportunity was earned by Tennessee when sophomore Mackenzie George was fouled hard inside the box.

Mississippi State generated more offensive success in the second half. They ended the match-leading 22-14 in shot and just edged out the Vols in shots on frame by a margin of 6-5. Mississippi also led in total corner kicks with 11 corners earned, beating the Vols’ eight corners. However, Tennessee won the possession battle, tallying 52% possession.

The Vols final regular season match and final guaranteed home match will be this Thursday night, October 31. They will face off against the league-leading Arkansas Razorbacks at 7 p.m. at Regal Soccer Stadium.

For those fans wishing to attend, Senior Night presentations will begin at 6:40 p.m.