The Vols vs. SE Louisiana
#7 MA Vignola for the Tennessee Volunteers playing against SE Louisiana on Thursday, September 5, 2019.

The Tennessee women’s soccer team drew against UMass in a thrilling 3-3 match in Amherst, Massachusetts on Sunday.

Senior forward MA Vignola scored a brace, with freshman midfielder Sonia Ochene Salón scoring as well.

The first 30 minutes were back and forth with neither team able to break through until the 37th minute. After a UMass yellow card at the top of the 18-yard box, Ochene Salón was able to convert the free kick to give the Lady Vols the lead.

Tennessee had another push before the end of the half, but were unable to convert.

Coming out of halftime, the Lady Vols continued to pressure- resulting in forward Michelle Alozie earning a penalty kick after she was fouled inside the box. Vignola subsequently converted the resulting kick, doubling Tennessee’s lead.

However, UMass wasn’t going to lay down. Less than two minutes later, Melissa Kossler scored to cut the Lady Vols lead in half. Then just over a minute later, Lauren Bonavita scored to tie up the match with 23 minutes left in regular time.

Vignola was able to put Tennessee ahead in the 75th minute on an easy opportunity, resulting in a long-range assist from defender Maya Neal.

Soon after Vignola’s second goal, Kossler also scored her second goal to level the match in the 86th minute.

Multiple times, both teams came close to netting a decisive goal, but neither was able to get the golden goal in extra time.

The final statistics tell of a close and intense match with shots level at 13. The two teams combined for 29 fouls including five cards, with Tennessee accounting for 17 of the 29.

The Lady Vols have one final non-conference game before kicking off their SEC schedule. They will host UC Davis this Wednesday with kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m at Regal Stadium.