The Vols vs. Cincinnati
The 4-1 Vols huddle in preparation for kick off against the 1-4 Cincinnati Bearcats Sunday, September 8, 2019.

The Tennessee soccer team charged forward with another win on Sunday, beating the Cincinnati Bearcats at Regal Stadium to improve to 5-1 on the season.

Here are the highlights:

Explosive Offense

Tennessee put on another impressive display of offensive prowess in their win on Sunday.

The Lady Vols were able to put up 10 shots in the first half, with six of those shots on frame. Most of the shots came in quick bursts of offensive efficiency.

In the fourth minute, Tennessee set up a corner kick which lead to a score by defenseman Wrenne French. The junior out of Franklin, Tennessee was able to notch her first career goal with assists from seniors Katie Cousins and MA Vignola. 

“Very exciting, just like our first game,” Cousins said of her team's first goal of the afternoon. “It’s something we’ve been working on and to see it get executed well is pretty awesome. It’s bittersweet. It’s really awesome because it gives you energy, but it’s also like, man, we have the whole rest of the game.”

French shared those sentiments.

“It was so exciting,” French said of her first career goal. “Katie (Cousins) played a great ball into me, and it’s usually the offensive player’s job to score the goal so I was really happy to give one back today.”

In the 48th minute, Vignola pushed toward the net with nothing but a goal in mind, but her shot was saved by the Bearcats’ keeper, Madison Less. The ball ricocheted back out to the middle of the box, and freshman midfielder Sonia Ouchene Salón lasered a shot into the bottom left corner for her first career goal in the Orange and White.

In the 62nd minute Isabella Cook rocketed a shot in the bottom right corner of the net to put the Lady Vols up 3-0. The goal was set up by a cross from the baseline from Ouchene Salón. It was also assisted by Cousins. 

Tennessee had 17 shots total in their win. 

“It’s really, really good knowing SEC play is coming up soon,” Cousins said of her team’s consistently high shot count. “You need to be able to score goals, and the more people we can have contributing to that, the better.”

Position Battle

The Lady Vols are still in a fierce battle in between the sticks. 

The competition is between freshman Lindsey Romig and redshirt sophomore Charli Pogany.

Pogany started and played the entire match versus Cincinnati. This was the first game that one keeper played the entire match.

Pogany had three saves in her start, and just one goal allowed. 

Cincinnati’s lone goal of the night came in the 83rd minute against an inexperienced Tennessee lineup with multiple underclassmen on the field.

“That goal was an awesome hit by the Cincinnati kid, so we don’t fault Charli at all for that,” head coach Brian Pensky said of his sophomore keeper.

“We believe in Charli,” Pensky said. The head coach was also asked about his decision to start Pogany, and Romig’s condition. “She’s okay, just a little bit sore from this past week and weekend.” 

Home Win Streak

The Lady Vols are on a nine game win streak following Sunday afternoon’s win over the Bearcats.

This win streak dates back to last year on Oct. 18, 2018-spanning well over 300 days.

Tennessee will look to continue that win streak next Wednesday, September 18th when they face UC Davis in Regal Stadium.

Up Next

Tennessee will travel to the University of Massachusetts on Sunday, Sept. 15. Kick off is set for 1 p.m.