The Vols vs. Fordham University

#22, Katie Cousins breaks away from the Fordham offense during the game against Fordham University at Regal Stadium on August 22, 2019.

Tennessee Soccer’s Katie Cousin’s has been named a candidate for the senior CLASS award.

The redshirt senior has been named as one of the 30 nominees across all of Division I women’s soccer. To qualify for the award, the student-athlete must be a senior, and excel in these areas: community, character, classroom, and competition.

CLASS stands for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School®. The CLASS award highlights the impact a student-athlete can have while staying in school, and it encourages them to use their platform as athletes to make an impact in their communities. 

A committee will choose 10 finalists for the award. Those 10 will be placed on a ballot for a nationwide vote. Coaches, fans, and media will vote to determine a winner for the 2019 senior CLASS award.

Community-Cousins has been a very active community member in her time at Tennessee. She has volunteered for several community organizations, including Emerald Youth Foundation, Kicks for Kids, Goals for Girls, and Race Against Alzheimers. She has logged well over 130 hours of community service since she’s been in Knoxville. She also went on a service trip to Ecuador as a member of the 2017-18 VOLeaders Academy.

Classroom-Cousins is on track to graduate this December with a degree in Theater. She has been on the SEC academic honor roll for four years straight, maintaining a cumulative 3.0 GPA. She has been on the Dean’s List three times, Spring 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018. 

Character-As mentioned before, Cousins was a member of the VOLeaders Academy during the 2017-18 school year. The Academy helps student-athletes use their platforms to positively influence their teams, schools, and communities. 

She has also been on the Soccer Leadership council for two straight years, including their historic 2018 season.

Competition-Cousins was rated as the No.5 overall player by TopDrawerSoccer’s preseason watchlist. She is coming back as a back-to-back third team All-American, and has been named to the All-SEC team three years in a row. She has been named to the MAC Hermann Trophy preseason watchlist. 

Kousins’ team high four assists have helped Tennessee get off to a 6-2-1 start in 2019.

The 2019 senior CLASS award winner will be named during the 2019 NCAA Women’s College Cup Championships in December.