Football vs. ETSU

Bryce Thompson, #20, during game against ETSU on Sept. 10, 2018 at Neyland Stadium.

Tennessee defensive back Bryce Thompson was arrested and charged with misdemeanor domestic assault Saturday evening, according to court records.

Thompson and a woman with whom he had been in a relationship with for four years got into a heated argument around 8 p.m. Saturday night at Stokely Hall. He was held overnight at the Knox County Detention Center.

Thompson was released on a $3,000 bond Sunday morning and is scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 3.

The second-year cornerback reportedly told the woman he would “slap the (expletive) out of you.” Other witnesses claimed they heard Thompson also say he was going to “shoot up the school,” according to the arrest warrant.

When UTPD arrived on the scene Saturday, officers said Thompson appeared to be “extremely upset and agitated.” 

They also found a metal gate unhinged, which produced damage to a wall. Initially, Thompson claimed he fell into it, but later told police the gate broke as he “tried to pull it upwards.”

The woman told police that she and Thompson began arguing after she found fake eyelashes in his room that did not belong to her and the situation escalated, describing Thompson as having a “bad temper” and claiming he has gone as far as punching walls during previous arguments. 

There were reportedly five witnesses, three of which claimed they heard Thompson threaten the woman and two that said they overheard him claim he would “shoot up the school.”

Tallying three interceptions and seven pass break-ups last season, Thompson was named a freshman All-American and along with fellow freshman DB Alontae Taylor, combined to form one of the SEC’s most impressive young corner tandems.

Thompson also recorded 34 tackles and a forced fumble.

“We are aware of the situation and are waiting for additional information while the appropriate processes take place," a spokesperson within Tennessee athletics said on Sunday morning.

Tennessee’s season opener against Georgia State is slated for Aug. 31 at Neyland Stadium.  

This is an ongoing story and will be updated with additional information as it becomes available.