Chris Woodruff

Tennessee men's tennis head coach Chris Woodruff 

The No. 21 Tennessee men’s tennis team was back on the courts in the SEC Tournament semifinals on Saturday, taking on the No. 1-seeded Texas A&M Aggies at the Alabama Tennis Stadium in Tuscaloosa. 

Earlier in the season, in a matchup on March 23, the Vols were defeated by the Aggies by a final score of 5-2.  

Coming off of a hard fought 4-3 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide, the No. 4-seeded Vols were looking to avenge the loss that they suffered at the hands of the Aggies in last year’s tournament, as well as the regular season defeat.  

On Court 1 in doubles, No. 13-ranked Preston Touliatos and Luis Valero took on the No. 6 doubles team of Jordi Arconada and Juan Carlos Aguilar. The outcome didn’t go in the Vols favor as they came up short in a 3-6 loss. 

The Vols would follow with an equalizer shortly after when the duo of Timo Stodder and Adam Walton defeated the No. 59 doubles team of Arthur Rinderknech and AJ Catanzariti by a final count of 7-5. 

The final doubles game on Court 3 would rule in favor of the Aggies when Nicaise Muamba and Scott Jones suffered a loss to Patrick Kypson and Valentin Vacherot by a slim margin of 4-6.

The Vols entered singles action down 0-1.

In the top singles spot, No. 14 Timo Stodder was defeated by No. 7 Patrick Kypson 2-6, 3-6 to put the Aggies up, 2-0. 

Shortly after, on Court 5, redshirt junior Touliatos lost to No. 121 Aguilar 2-6, 0-6. 

With the Aggies up 3-0, the Vols were put in a win-or-go-home scenario. One more loss and their hopes of an SEC title would be shattered.  

That loss would come on Court 4 when Adam Walton was defeated by No. 71 Valentin Vacherot by a score of 1-6, 4-6, bringing the Vols’ successful year in the SEC to an abrupt end. 

The final count was a sweep in favor of Texas A&M 4-0. 

The Vols will now turn their attention to the NCAA Tournament in hopes of clinching a berth after missing out last year.