Softball vs Louisville

Tennessee softball team during game against Louisville on Feb. 25, 2019 at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium

The No. 7 Lady Vols started the Judi Garman Classic off 2-0 after beating both UTSA (12-2) and Fresno State (4-2) on Thursday.

Tennessee is heading into its next three games of the tournament on a seven-game win streak and are looking for victories over New Mexico, Michigan and Oregon.

Amanda Ayala led Tennessee in both games. She went 3-for-3 and recorded five RBIs against UTSA, as well as going 2-for-3 and scoring a run against Fresno State.

On the mound, Matty Moss, Caylan Arnold and Ashley Rogers all split time to lead to two Tennessee victories.

Aubrey Leach started things off for Tennessee against UTSA in the top of the first on a single, later advancing to third on a single towards right by Ayala. Leach finally came home on a sac fly from Ashley Morgan, giving the Lady Vols a 1-0 lead.

Tennessee came in hot during the third inning, scoring 10 runs on eight hits with 14 batters stepping up to the plate. Ayala got things rolling with a single to center, driving in two runs. She then advanced to third on a UTSA fielding error.

Ally Shipman then hit an RBI-single to right, followed by singles from Kaili Phillips and Gracie Osbron, all combining to bring in three runs. After Leach walked and the bases were loaded, Ayala hit a double to left field, which cleared the bases.

The Lady Vols scored their last run in the top of the fourth inning when Phillips’ hit over the center wall brought the score to 12-0.

In the bottom of the frame, UTSA was able to obtain their two runs of the game on a single and a two-RBI long ball.

In the first inning, Tennessee plated three runs on three hits against Fresno State after Ayala’s single that led to Bearden’s two-run homer. Phillips then knocked a hit beyond the center field fence to give the Lady Vols a 3-0 lead.

After a single and a stolen base by Kaitlin Parsons in the second inning, Leach hit a double, which ultimately led Parsons home and extended the lead to 4-0.

After an uneventful third inning, Fresno State was able to put two runs on the board after a hit-by-pitch put a runner on base and a two-run smash over left field wall brought two runners home.

The fifth, sixth, and seventh innings remained scoreless and the game ended in a Tennessee victory of 4-2.

The Lady Vols play next on Friday against New Mexico at 6:45 p.m. in the second day of the Judi Garman Classic.