Softball vs BYU

#8, Kaili Phillips, prepares to hit a ball during the game against Brigham Young University on Saturday March 16, 2019 at the Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. 

The Tennessee softball team (28-7, 6-4 SEC) lost, 10-5, against Auburn (31-7,7-3 SEC) on Saturday at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium. It was the first of three games this weekend.

The Lady Vols were only down 6-5 heading to the top of the seventh inning. A couple of miscues from the defense and a bases-clearing triple later led to an Auburn lead.

“These are the same kids that have carried us all year,” co-head coach Ralph Weekly said. “We just didn’t perform in pitching, hitting or defense.”

Aubrey Leach and Cailin Hannon started the game by drawing walks. They would come around to score, but the teams were tied, 2-2, after the first frame.

“A big part of our strategy right now is seeing balls and strikes,” Leach said. “There is not a lot when you make the game bigger.”

In the bottom of the second inning, the Lady Vols would grab the lead after Jenna Holcomb hit a two-out single and stole her second base this season.  Leach came up next and singled to put two runners on base. She would steal her ninth base in the next at-bat.

Hannon stepped up to the plate and singled, recording two RBIs. She advanced to second on the throw.  Chelsea Seggern then doubled off the fence and drove in the run. Seggern and Hannon each had two RBIs on Saturday.

Tennessee’s starting pitcher, Ashley Rogers, was credited with a no decision against Auburn. She pitched four innings, gave up seven hits, four earned runs and had three strikeouts. She also had an RBI at the plate.

Matty Moss came in as a relief pitcher, but could not do much better and was credited with the loss. She is 9-2 in 2019 after going three innings, giving up five runs and one walk. She added one strikeout.

“We are not going to dissect this loss,” Ralph Weekly said. “We have won 28 games and we are not a bad team.”

For Auburn, Ashlee Swindle recorded her ninth win of the season. She was credited with a full seven innings, giving up seven hits, three runs, no walks and striking out two Lady Vols.

Tennessee forced a pitching change after scoring two runs before the first out of the game. Auburn went from starting pitcher Lexie Handley to Swindle.

Offensively, the Tiger’s standout player was Tannon Snow. She went 4-for-4, scored three runs and hit two home runs on Saturday. The second one was to give Auburn the lead back and was her eleventh in 2019.

With two runners on in the top of the seventh, Kendal Veach was intentionally walked to load the bases. Snow came up and hit a bases-clearing triple, racking up seven RBIs on Saturday.

“We have two more games against Auburn,” Ralph Weekly said. “They are going to be just as blood thirsty (tomorrow).”

The Lady Vols will play again at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday for their second of three games against Auburn. Tennessee is now 10-3 at home in 2019.