Freshman Rhys Nevin’s 1-under 215 led the men’s golf team to an eighth place finish at the 2017 Desert Mountain Intercollegiate. Nevin shot five birdies on Sunday, and his even-par of 72 on the tournament’s final day capped the best 54 holes of his collegiate career.

Nevin tied for 14th individually at the tournament, which was played in Scottsdale, Arizona, at Desert Mountain’s Outlaw Course. The Vols team combined to shoot 1-over 289 on Sunday — their best round of the tournament — after a first round 298 (10-over) and second round 290 (2-over).

UT finished 13-over 877; host school Michigan placed first at 13-under 851, Northwestern (11-under 853) finished second and Alabama (7-under 857) finished third.

Alabama’s Lee Hodges won the individual title, shooting 10-under 206. Michigan’s Reed Hrynewich (9-under 207) and Purdue’s Fernando Barco (8-under 208) finished second and third, respectively.

Nevin’s 36 pars for the tournament were the sixth highest out of the 66-man playing field. His average stroke on par 3s (2.83) ranked second among the competitors.

Elsewhere, junior Lorenzo Scalise shot a 1-under 71, moving up 12 spots to finish tied for 34th (6-over 222). His final round included birdies on the fifth and 13th and an eagle on the 16th. His stroke average on par 5s (4.25) was best in the tournament. With two eagles, he tied Jake Brown (Indiana) and Hrynewich (Michigan) for most eagles shot at the tournament.

Freshman Jake Meenhorst shot even-par 72 in the last round, climbing eight spots to finished T38 (7-over 223). Meenhorst’s final round featured birdies on the first, second, 13th and 14th.

Senior Juan Carlos Serrano tied for 43rd (9-over 225). Serrano’s average on par 4s (4.07) was the best of any Tennessee player at the tournament, ranking T19 out of all players. Serrano also shot the most birdies of any Vol at the tournament with the 12 he carded ranking T15.

Sophomore Nolan Ray tied for 45th (10-over 226).

The Vols next play in the Kingsmill Intercollegiate. Hosted by William & Mary, the tournament will take place March 19-21 at Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, Virginia.