Head Coach Jeremy Pruitt
Head coach of the University of Tennessee's football team, Jeremy Pruitt, gives a press conference on August 23, 2019 in the Ray and Lucy Hand Digital Studio.

Tennessee defensive lineman Aubrey Solomon, who transferred to the Vols from Michigan in December, has been cleared to play by the NCAA.

The news was first reported by Austin Price of Volquest.com.

Solomon, a 6-foot-5, 300-pound tackle, was formally a five-star prospect that played two seasons at Michigan in 2017 and 2018 and is eligible to play immediately. 

The news that Tennessee and Solomon had waited more than eight months to hear comes just three days before Tennessee's opener against Georgia State on Saturday.

Head coach Jeremy Pruitt stated earlier in the week that Solomon had been working with the defensive line in fall camp as if he was eligible, so he could even start in the opener.

"We're going to continue to practice like he's going to play," Pruitt said of Solomon. "All our guys take a lot of reps and we're going to continue to do that so it helps us create some depth on both sides of the ball."

Solomon will be a welcome addition to the defensive line, especially after the season-ending injury to senior Emmit Gooden earlier in fall camp.

In his two seasons with the Wolverines, Solomon saw action in 18 games, recording 18 tackles.