Men's Basketball vs. Mississippi State

#2, Grant Williams, attempts a layup against Mississippi State on Tuesday Feb. 5, 2019 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Tennessee junior forward Grant Williams earned back-to-back SEC Player of the Year honors, getting the nod from the Associated Press on Tuesday. The coaches awards will be announced later in the day.

Junior guard Jordan Bone and senior guard Admiral Schofield were named second-team all-SEC performers.

Williams leads the SEC in scoring with 19.3 points per game and is fifth in the conference in rebounds with 7.7 per game. He has also tallied 3.3 assists per game this season, which ranks 11th in the conference.

He also finished second in the league in field goal percentage at 56.9 percent. Williams is the first Tennessee player selected as AP player of the year since Chris Lofton in 2007.

Ron Widby (1967), Bernard Jing (1976 and 1977), Ernie Grunfeld (1977), Dale Ellis (1982 and 1983) and Ron Slay (2003) were the only other Vol standouts to win the award.

Bone is averaging a career-high 13.4 points per game as he has emerged as an NBA prospect this season.

He is also dishing out a league-leading 6.1 assists per game and grabbing 3.2 rebounds per game. Bone scored 27 points and made all five of his 3-pointers in Tennessee’s win against Kentucky on March 2.

Schofield is scoring a career-high 16.3 points per game this year.

He is also averaging 6.3 rebounds per game and 2.0 assists per game. The Vols’ emotional leader poured in 30 points in Tennessee’s win against Gonzaga on Dec. 9.

Tennessee heads to the SEC Tournament on Friday.

The Vols will face the winner of Thursday’s game between Mississippi State’s game against either Vanderbilt or Texas A&M. Tennessee is the No. 3 seed in the event and could meet the No. 2 seed Kentucky in the semifinals on Saturday.

Friday’s game will tipoff following Kentucky’s game at 7:00 p.m. ET from Bridgestone Arena.